Survey time....Best Speakers Btwn $350 and $900 to start home theater??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_F, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Brian_F

Brian_F Auditioning

As I posted earlier I have been recently shopping and listening to various bookshelf speakers to start my home theater.
    I have listened to B&Ws ---the 602 ($350- nice but big) and 601 as well as the cm series ($900/pair for cm2s-am i just in love with the design?). Ive also listened to Paradigm mini monitors and they sound great too and are much cheaper. Im trying to develope my ear and decide what elements i like best. What im trying to figure out is what is the best bang for my buck having great sound and nice style to boot?
    What are you're impressioins on these and other speakers in these ranges. Thanks.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You owe it to yourself to check out Definitive Technology! The 2006TL's might be in your price range, and you should also look at their new PowerMonitors (there is a review on them in the newest S&V Mag).
    http://www.definitivetech.com
    Good luck!

3. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

I've had my Paradigm Studio 40s for about four months now, and am still amazed by their quality. They're just fantastic speakers. Pair them with a decent sub and you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable full range speaker at twice the price.
    Have fun shopping.

4. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Run a search in the archives...this has been debated quite often, and recently i might add.

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Give a listen to some Kef q15.2's. You won't be disappointed.
    Hope this helps.

6. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Are you looking for a pair or all 5 for this budget?
    If all 5, I'd check out the nOrh ceramic 4.0 setup for $850 shipped or the Ascend Accoustics CBM-170 5-speaker package for $849. Both of these are internet-only direct companies, so you can expect higher quality parts for the money, generally speaking (I know it's true with these two particular companies).
    Others to consider: Axiom Audio, Swan's Diva line, others???
    I own the nOrh speakers and am quite impressed with their build quality. I have not heard anything (paired with subs) in this price range that can match performance for music or HT. I'm sure they may exist, I just haven't heard them yet. [​IMG]
    Happy hunting...
    John