What's new

Suggestions for big floorstanding speakers? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
I can appreciate that bigger does not mean better, and I am in no way implying that. I have auditioned many, but only smaller sized units. I am not trying to imply that I believe bigger is better, but I do want a big set of speakers such as JBL, Klipsch, Energy, etc like brands that the adjuster suggested. I have big spaces in the corners of my living room where the speakers came from, and I would really appreciate another set of big floor speakers to replace them.
So far, the only speakers from these brands that are along the lines of what I am looking for is the super expensive JBL's, and the moderately prices Kilpsch's (many models)

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
I appreciate the help, but my replacement cost insurance means that i get a replacement that is brand new, among current models on the market.
I looked in to the Cerwin Vega's, and they do not ship to Canada.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have to agree. That's 1/2 off msrp. I recently picked up some Beta 20's, a 250 center and OWS-1's for surrounds for use in a smaller room and they are very nice for the price. One of the best values around right now, if their sound appeals to you. And the Beta 40's are only $179 each at Vanns. 10's, 20's and the 250, 360 are at simular discounts. And those prices include free ground shipping to the lower 48. Not sure if they ship to Canada though. I wish I had room for those 50's. Or even the 40's.

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
Yeah last time I checked Vann's did not ship to Canada. Those look like nifty speakers, but 10 watts nominal RMS and 250 peak? Is it just me or do these not seem to handle that much?

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
It's just you. ;)

Now, wattage ratings on speakers tend to not mean much. Quite often, even at a decent volume, your amp isn't putting out much at all. Maybe 5 watts. They would be fine.

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
my HK receiver puts out 120/150 rms at 8/4ohm
while i think the 10 watts nominal would be okay for like 40rms, i dont want my insurance to buy my new speakers only to be overpowering them, since i often listen to music very, very loud.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As Rich pointed out, don't worry too much about speaker wattage ratings. Give them good clean power and you should be O.K. Distortion is a speakers worst enemy. My Beta 20 bookshelves can handle just about anything I can throw at them.

And there are several terms relating to wattage that manufactures use to inform and confuse us. Minimum, nominal, rms, maximum. I've always thought minimum was the lowest continuos amount needed to obtain the listed frequency response. Rms is the speakers average or continuos power rating and maximum is it's ability to handle short, loud bursts. I was never really sure what nominal was but I'm sure it isn't it's continuos rating. Maybe someone can correct or clarify this. And what does rms stand for? Isn't it Root-means-and ??

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't believe those guys Dave. Specs and driver size are the only way to judge a speaker. You keep looking at all the very reliable and standardized specs and make your decision based on that. Don't let anyone sway you.

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
Don't be a shitbag. I just don't want to get something that isnt a good match, especially to my amplifier.

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I'm pretty sure he was being facetious. The specs are far from reliable or standardized.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

We've been trying to help you. You won't listen (pun intended). A good match for your speakers would probably be the cheap Fluance I recommended earlier. They may even sound better than your Fishers. If you want big speakers with that single note woofer that you hear in the back of Civics, go for the Cerwin-Vegas.

Why don't you go listen to some of the brands that were recommended? Only you can decided what you like. I'm personally purchasing B&W 683's to go with my SVS Ultra sub. I suggested the CM7's since they are geared more toward music. I promise, the CM7's put out some excellent mid and lows. Go have a listen for yourself.

Just don't think that the insurance will think they are equivalent....

BTW - What is your amp? I know you said HK, but what model exactly? The CM7's need decent power.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
Sony SSF550

Or some of KLH's huge speakers with single or multiple "12" woofers that go down to 24Hz! :eek:

Real Name
Dave Lawrence
I certainly appreciate the help, guys. I'm not exactly new to audio, but I would say that I am not familiar with everything out there, I haven't heard every speaker out there. I am a sucker for big speakers, thats why I'm looking for big ones to replace these with. I know big doesn't mean better, I'm looking for a good sounding set that are also big. I have grown to love the "big" sound that larger speakers make. Call me foolish if you wish.

I've got the HK3485. Its two channel, for four speakers, switchable A/B or both. Rated for 120 watts RMS at 8 ohms, and 150 watts RMS at 4 ohms. It performs better than it says it does on paper, and it is very consistent. I believe it has the dual power supplies in it, so it can keep a good level of juice flowing in to it. It's got a sub out too, so i run that in to a Velodyne DPS 12.

I'm lookin for something that can handle a fair bit of juice since my receiver has quite a bit more power than the typical 40 to 65 watt RMS units you see for surrounds and the like. I'm running a high powered two-channel setup :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks