What's new

Suggestions for a budget tuner? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I find myself listening to the radio more and more in the car and would like to have a tuner in my second system where I do a lot of casual listening. The tuner need not be a Magnum Dynalab or anything with a pedigree. All I am looking for is something inexpensive that works. Audiophile sound quality is not a criterion. I would use the tuner for listening occasionally to the local AM all-day news station, talk radio on FM, and music on FM. Crutchfield has the Sony ST-SE370 for $200, which is more than I want to spend for my needs. I could probably get it for less through J&R Music World, but probably not much less. Would an inexpensive Radio Shack tuner work well enough for my needs? How cheap can I go on a tuner and still get something that will work?
My other question regarding a tuner is very basic with respect to an antenna. I have never used a tuner in an audio system, if you can believe that (), so I don't know how serious an antenna I would need. I live outside of Wilmington, Delware and easily get Philadelphia stations in my car and on a cheap boombox. I can even get some New York City stations. What kind of antenna would I need for AM and FM? Hopefully something small and inexpensive.
Crutchfield has the indoor Terk amplified AM/FM antenna for $25. Would this work? They also have the indoor Terk non-amplified (passive) AM/FM antenna for $20. Would this work? Should I get an amplified or non-amplified antenna? Does it depend on how remote you are? Finally, for my needs, would an AM/FM antenna be suitable, or should I get separate antennas for AM and FM?
Please bear with me, as I obviously have a lot of questions here. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
You might think about either getting a cheap receiver or boombox and runnign a patch cord from the tape outs on it to your pre-amp. Can't help you with the antenna. When I bothered with the radio, I couldn't find that did the job. Now I only listen in the car. And then, only under duress.
I have a NAD tuner that I bought in 1979. However, it would be just my luck to find something I want to listen to on the radio and a good antenna after I get rid of it.:D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
How ’bout something both cheap and good? You can find tuners on e-bay for great prices – usually much less than $200, depending on what you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Keith, first try the ol' FM standby -- the 300ohm flat antenna wire folded dipole -- or make one yourself: 59in across and spliced in the middle on one leg to length. RS sells 'em cheap. It's push-pinned to the wall behind the unit as high as "decor" allows.
Tuners MAY have a 300ohm ANT and/or 75ohm in which case use a 300-to-75ohm converter. THEN think about hardware antennas if it doesnt pull enough stations.

wei

Auditioning
Hi, Keith:
You may want to try some used ones first. I just got a Kenwood KT42B for $3 (Canadian) this weekend from a garage sale. It has 16 preset stations (AM and FM together)
but does not have a remote. The unit works perfect. I tried some second market antenna (UHF/VHF/FM) but it did not do a good job so I end up using the very basic one come with a desktop system -- it worked fine.
good luck.

By the way, did you ever try to record SACD onto a minidisc? what is your exprience?

Wei

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Keith, if you want something new that is better than the Sony, the Rotel is about $100 more. You can pick them up used as well. I run the 2nd A/V out of the Sony 444ES in the bedroom system into the main system in the event I want to listen to FM. The bedroom system backs to the main system and also feeds 4 other places so I don't need more. I am always tempted to try to get a used Phase Linear 5000 with the auto-correlator built-in. I had the 5100 Series II way back when with the outboard auto-correlator (model 1000 series II) and it cleaned up background noise and increased the dynamic range in a nice subtle way. I thought I saw one on one of the sites like Audiogon and almost bought it. The Magnum/Dynalab FM Antenna is $99.95 and it should be as good as you will need. You can get it at Audio Advisor. I use an outdoor attic antenna with a splitter for the FM band.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't get around to checking this thread until just now and was pleased to the feedback.
Jack,
I think even an inexpensive receiver would be overkill for my needs. Although I am not looking to spend much on a tuner, I am thinking that a dedicated unit like the $200 Sony ST-SE370 would be better than the tuner in a budget receiver. I might be wrong, but a receiver is more than I need. I do appreciate the suggestion, however.
Wayne,
Cheap and good? Hmmm...what a concept! ;) I had thought about eBay, but I just need to know what I am buying. I'm not sure I want anything too old since I obviously can't see it and test it out before buying.
Bill,
I appreciate the info. on antennas. I figured Radio Shack would be a worthwhile place to look. Now I have a better idea what to look for. :)
Wei,
Wow! $3 Canadian? That's like free in US dollars! ;) I am not averse to buying used, but I like the idea of buying locally better than eBay for reasons stated above. Now I just need a garage sale!
I have not gotten around to recording SACD to minidisc, or to CD-R for that matter. I am still interested in doing it, but I simply haven't gotten to it. I've bought a lot of CDs lately and have been spending a lot of my music time listening to them.
Phil,
The Sony ST-SE370 tuner is $200. Are you saying that Rotel makes a dedicated tuner for $300? If so, that would be great. It's true that $300 is more than I set out to spend, but I'm sure Rotel would make a very good tuner.
My 'V444ES, which is in the repair shop right now (PROTECTOR mode after a lightning storm), resides on another floor in my home, and running cables between it an my second system is not feasible.
I appreciate the suggestions regarding an antenna.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I went to rotel.com and found the RT-1080 and '940 tuners. The '940 looks more like it would be $300. Can you comment on these models?

Dave Herkert

Agent
Check out this page: Tuner Info Page
It's a geocities page, so sometimes the allocated data transfer is exceeded, so you may need to try it later. It's a great guide to sorting out those ebay deals on vintage tuners!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Yes - Keith, the 940 lists for $349.99. One sold on Audiogon a couple of days ago for $165.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, thanks a lot. Much appreciated. I like my NAD integrated and power amps and looked up their C 420 AM/FM tuner at nadelectronics.com. The C 420 has a disappointing signal-to-noise ratio of 45dB. It only goes for $250, which is not a bad price for my needs, but I'm not sure it is very good. I know that NAD tends to be conservative with its specs., but I'm not sure they are that conservative. Even the more expensive C 440 (which I am not sure is available in the US) has the same signal-to-noise ratio. I will look into the Rotel a bit more. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks