What's new

subwoofer placement in a cabinet (1 Viewer)

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
First, THANKS for the good info which REALLY cut down on my research time regarding cables and wiring sequences. I'm currently building (better carpenter than electrician) a large wall cabinet (9'long by 4'3" high) in which will sit my 42" Samsung HDTV, receiver, dvd, and vcr...along with room for a glassdoor/display section to make HER happy! QUESTION: I want to set the SUBWOOFER into the bottom section of the component cabinet rather than sitting out on the floor, is this advisable? It will actually be 3 seperate cabinet boxes with facing and a top attached afterwards. Any thoughts? THANKS AGAIN

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
There are a few potential problems...

1) You are limiting placement. Often then best location for a subwoofer is in the corner (maximum perceived output & easier to fix room response). If the sub sounds bad in the cabinet then you'll have problems (i.e. no alternative placement options).

2) The cabinet may restrict performance. Make sure that any ports and the driver have plenty of room to breathe (i.e. fully open back and front for that cabinet).

3) Since you have WW skills, you might want to consider an IB subwoofer as an alternative. This uses an adjacent room, attic, or basement as an enclosure and can be very unobtrusive. Read about IB in the DIY forum...

Christopher Rol

Auditioning
Greg...thanks I think...now you did it! Gonna have to cram my grey matter with IB data, I can already hear that future ceiling mounted unit rumbling. I have a small house, 1300 sq.ft. and small HT area, around 12 x 16 , open to the kitchen with a half wall, open to the entry hall, and glass slider on one wall to my patio addition. I'm wondering now if I make a cut-out on one additional side of the cabinet I'm building and cover with spkr. cloth if that will help enough to work... anyway THANKS for the option of a whole new adventure.
chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks