What's new

Subwoofer phase control-what is the exact purpose of it? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I have tried my sub's phase control in different positions but there does not seem to be much difference in where I have it. It seems to put out more bass when I have it turned almost to the extreme right. I really don't know the real function of this control. Thanks for any help.
------------------

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Sound at frequencies close to your sub crossover comes from both the sub and the other speakers. If your listening position is such that these frequencies arrive at your ears 180 degrees out of phase from the sub, then some cancillation can occur- some sound just vanishes. Some subs allow you to adjust the phase to minimize this effect - get away from that 180 degree relationship betweent the sub and the rest. It is a trial and error setting- louder is better. Everytime you move the sub or the other speakers, the best setting may change.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Generally, if your sub is up front with the main speakers then set the phase to zero degrees. If it is at the back of the room, then set it to 180 degrees. You want to set it so that when you play a subwoofer tone (available in test CD's, and AVIA, Video Essentials etc) then the sub sounds louder than the other setting.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Denward

Supporting Actor
One setting makes your sub produce a wave like this:
///
The other setting produces the same sound as this:
///
Depending on speaker placement and room dimensions, one setting may cause your sub to cancel out the waves produced by your other speakers. Just put it on the setting that sounds best. If they sound the same, don't sweat it. It just means that neither is causing a problem.
[Edited last by Denward on November 01, 2001 at 11:38 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks