What's new

Subs R' Us. (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's fun to be on vacation. As I type, I've got an IB sub(with a single Adire DPL12 and a 128ft^3 closet), a dipole sub( pair of DPL12's), and a PR sub (Dayton DVC,Lambda PR) operating in my room. All I do is move the speaker cable from the amp (Adire AVA250) to the sub I wanna use. Really interesting differences in sound and response. I'm finishing up a vented Shiva EBS for a friend, so I'll then have all the bas(s)es covered.

I did a quick, informal (RS meter w/ corrections, Sterophile Test cd1) FR comparison between the dipole and IB and found that, while the DPL12 infinite baffle was pretty damn flat over the last octave (actually up a little @ 20Hz referenced to 40Hz), the dipole fell only about 6dB down over the same octave (agrees with the theory, I guess). For these measurements, I'm only using one voice coil of each DPL12, so the Qts of the woofs is about 0.8. Really tough to get a feel for "smoothness" this way, since it's such a crude method.

"I'm a loser. I'm a loooooo-ser".
-John Lennon

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Alrighty, done with the EBS. Just about 141L with a full-length 4" flared port. Sounds great thus far, but we're having our inaugural viewing of The Fellowship of The Ring this evening, so that'll be telling (what a way to break in a sub,eh?).

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Yea Jack, you'll know right away what kind of cahones it has with that soundtrack. I'll bring popcorn! :D
Pete

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
We did good. :) Thing performed like a champ @ 10dB below reference in my small room (~1400ft^3). Damn, there's low sh*t all over that DVD, and the EBS seems to get it all (powered with an AVA250).
Incidentally, I wound up not using the Sonotube I got, I went with an MDF box. Never again, too friggin' heavy.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hey Pete, those black fine-thread screws you sent worked like a charm on the MDF...no T-nuts this time, a real quickie this one. Even the port is duct-taped till I finalize the Fb.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

How does the PR sub hang in there? I know it has a higher tuning, but would be interested in your impressions on the quality/character of the sound compared to the other offerings.

You really should snag a picture and post it of all those subs in the same room!

Wes

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hey Wes,
The PR hangs in there just fine. :emoji_thumbsup: The EBS definitely digs deeper (at over twice the Vb, of course), but I haven't really gotten to compare them on music at all.
You really should snag a picture and post it of all those subs in the same room!
It's crowded in there. ;) I'll try to get a pic, kinda funny. My little green sub is in there somewhere also, along with a few other drivers/PR's and a massive Blueprint 1803. Oy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks