What's new

8k QLED and Sonance Theater Project (1 Viewer)

billwhitt

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Whittenberger
Been a long time since I have done a home theater. Looking for opinions on this set up.

Samsung QLED Q900 75" 8k TV OR maybe a BENQ-HT9060 paired with a Dragonfly Thinline™ Fixed Ultra AcoustiWeave Projection Screen - 92"

L/R Sonance Reference Series Speakers R1, Maybe R2
Center - SB46-75 (Cannot do an in-wall here due to a support post in the wall unless I go with a projector in which case I will use another R1 or R2 as a center mounted vertically)
Surround L/R - Sonance R1SUR
Rear L/R - Sonance R1CSUR
Subs-2 Sonance R12 Subs with a Sonance DSP 2-750MKII Amp and of course in the sub enclosures
AVR-Yamaha RX-A3080BL

The space isn't very big. So my question would be if the R2 speakers and the R12 subs are just insane overkill? Will the R10 subs and R1 speakers be plenty to give that immersive theater sound?

I LOVE the picture on the Q900 TV! BUT, having a larger screen with projection would be nice....then again, using a projector has it's disadvantages as well, such as someone walking in front of the screen or being too close if someone is sitting on the edge of the couches.
Decisions decisions.

Note: I get about half off all this equipment with the exception of the TV as I am a dealer for a distributor. I am in the IT business so I am not an expert with home A/V. We use sonance 70v speakers in business and they have always done us well, I just have never used their products for a home theater.

Any opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ricci Theater.jpg
    Ricci Theater.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 321

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a few questions...

Why 8K? In a lot of cases even 4K is overkill, considering 98% of the movies ever produced can't even measure up to the image quality of 4K. You still get HDR with 4K, which for a lot of people is the main real-world benefit it has over 1080.

You're looking at getting as much as $20K retail worth of speakers, including subs, but you want to power them with a midline receiver? I'm not incredibly up to date on TVs, but I'd consider a 4K OLED instead and put the savings into better electronics. Maybe separates (preamp/poweramp) instead of a receiver, if that is available. My feeling is the room is just too small for projection.

Finally, you're setting up a 7.2 system, but with the viewing area against the back wall, I've found rear surrounds are never very effective. I'd consider doing a 5.2.2 Atmos/DTS:X setup instead. Same components, but with the in-ceiling speakers forward instead of at the back of the room.

As far as the decision between the R1 and R2, the R2 will just be more relaxed, especially at high volume. I find the price difference between them a little extreme, though.

billwhitt

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Whittenberger
Thanks John, that is helpful information.
The Q900 just seemed like such a great picture, even better than the Q90 4k I saw. It looked better than the LG OLED. Superb picture.

Yeah, those speakers ar 20k retail but I get at least half off of retail, sometimes a little more. I also get a great deal on those receivers, but you make a good point. What would you go with in terms of a receiver/amplifier combo?

The entire system including the TV would cost me under $20k, so another reason I may splurge on the TV side. I really wanted a projector but agree the room is a bit small for that :(
I was also thinking the same thing about the difference between the R1 and R2. And if I am going through all the trouble to install them I might as well install the better ones. The R2 at my cost is $1k each. They will last the life of the house.
I have never set up Atmos, I will look into that. I don't like the direction of the room and would rather have had theater style seating with the screen on the long wall but the boss wants it to be more of a gathering space than strictly a theater. I really didn't like the couch all the way against the wall either...but that is what I have to work with.
My background is IT and installed audio/video for sports bars, hotels, conference rooms, etc. Last time I did a theater style room was about 15 years ago for a friend so it is not my specialty.

Thanks again for the input!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is Yamaha the only audio electronics brand you have available?

billwhitt

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Whittenberger
No, just one of the brands I get great wholesale pricing on. For work I use a lot of Harman products like crown, bss, jbl, etc.
We started using more of the Sonance 70v systems this year. I really like their products.
After reading your first reply I was looking at the CX-A5200 preamp and the MX-A5000 amp. But like I said, I am kind of a newb for home theater stuff so I am open to suggestions from the experts here.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What other brands of audio electronics do you get discounts on? Just want to know the options.

billwhitt

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Whittenberger
I will have to check on consumer brands. The Pioneer Elite is on one of my suppliers pages, though the Yamaha seemed like a better option. I will make some calls tomorrow. Like I said, I usually order installed audio products like Crown, BSS, JBL, DBX, QSC, etc. I have purchased some Denon equipment but I don't think I got as much of a discount as I do with other products.
For instance with Yamaha I can get the CX-A5100BL which retails for $2999.95 for $1667. Paired with the matching amp MX-A5000BL for another $1667 I can get both for $3334.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That Yamaha preamp/amplifier setup would be good. Denon doesn't offer separates, but Marantz (which is the same company) does, and I'm more familiar with them. That Yamaha amp has 11 channels, which is more than you need, but maybe you can bridge the front three channels. I'll have to look closer at the amp to see if that's an option. I didn't see any other Yamaha amps on their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks