What's new

Subaru WRX: Opinions? (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I'm thinkking about buying a Suburu WRX.
I have had a Miata for the last 10 years and its getting a little old (110,000+ miles) so its about time to get a new car. The Miata corners and brakes just great but isn't exactly fast. The WRX sounds like a cross between the Miata and my Dad's Jaguar XJR (now there's an awesome car).
I know the WRX will accelerate fast, but will I be happy with its cornering, handeling & braking? I'd appreciate any input from WRX owners or anyone who has some experience with these cars.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Since you own a Miata your probably driving stick and would probably buy a stick WRX but just in case you were thinking about an automatic WRX, don't do it. It saps the power out of the car and makes it super sluggish according to a couple of friends who test drove one.

Patrick

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Ummm...as a Mazda MX3 owner and someone who is also looking at buying a new car, I decided on the WRX for its handling, speed, looks, price, 4 wheel drive, performance....its the first car I looked at and it was the one that I kept on going back to test drive just one more time. Now I plan to purchase one when the 2003 come here, because the 2002s will be cheaper then and I just bought a house!

The only car that I can say I want more than a WRX is a Mits Lancer EVO, rumored to come to America in 2003 model year.

DON'T BUY AN AUTOMATIC!!! It takes all the fun out of the DRIVING the car.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Just remember that if you get a WRX, drive sensibly. The WRX is the car involved in the most signal vehicle accidents in the States right now. For some reason, people get behind the wheel and think that now that they have AWD, magically they can drive like Richard Burns. AWD drive is great, but it can only do so much if the driver can't handle the car.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Oh and if you're gonna wait for the Mitsi Lancer EVO, might as well wait for the Subaru WRX STI verson that should be out next year. Almost 300 HP!

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I wish you could get one in a two door... those commercials make me want to buy one sooo bad! :D

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
The WRX is an awesome vehicle.

The Lancer Evo VII is supposed to be out fall 2002. Subaru will answer this with the WRX STi, which has almost 300 HP.

Handling wise, the WRX should be better than your Miata. The EVO will handle slightly better, at the expence of some comfort. The EVO should check in at the mid $20K price range.

Also, Infinity is planning on bringing the Skyline over to the US next year (base model). Nissan is planning to bring the Skyline GTR to the states also.

If it were me, I would wait 'til fall and then drive everything out there. Incredible year for performance cars.

Jared

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
On a related note, isn't Nissan bringing back the old "Z car"?? It sucked when they discontinued the 300ZX, but I heard their reviving a car loosely based on the 280Z, something called the 350Z or something?? Anybody know when that is actually going public, I've seen some car show or spy shots in some magazines...

Jay

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
expect the 350Z in the late summer/fall as it's slotted for 2003. i'm a maxima driver myself (5-SPD!), but i need to haul a family.

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Jared,

Where did you hear that the Nissan Skyline is coming to the states?? This is great news. Awesome car!

Jeff Wakley

Auditioning
Last I heard/read, the only version of the Skyline that is coming to our side of the pond *for sure* is the vanilla sedan edition as an Infiniti. The GTR trim level over there isn't even out yet, I don't think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm not sure.

As for the WRX, its a blast. Its also not nearly so small as it appears, as I'm a pretty decent sized guy and I was more than comfortable in one. I didn't think I would be at first glance.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
A skyline in the US is good news, as it shows that the japs are more and more starting to take the US sports market more seriously. I wonder if Gran Turismo has anything to do with this, as the skyline is a popular car in the series.

Peter_A

Second Unit
I'm sorry, but the Skyline that we get in North America is a watered down waste of steel compared to what Japan gets. But then again, so are most import cars in North America.

I'd take any European car over the crap the big 3 automakers sell over here.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I just recently bought an Acura RSX Type-S, which is in the same price class as the WRX (actually the Acura is a bit cheaper). It's a smidgen slower (200 HP vs. 227) but has a beautiful 6-speed manual, nice leather seats, and hatchback practicality. (Plus, it's not a turbo, so the insurance isn't quite as high as the WRX. Still higher than my old Accord, though!) It's plenty fast for me, especially shifting at the redline at 7900 RPM. :)
The WRX drives great, but I was underwhelmed by the interior (it looks like a $15,000 car, not a $25,000 car)and I didn't really want a four-door. (Though the WRX wagon has a certain anti-fashionability about it that I like...)
Both the WRX and RSX were on Car & Driver's Ten Best list this year. Can't go wrong with either one, but at least look at an RSX to see if it strikes your fancy...
Ryan

James E

Stunt Coordinator
CharlesD, if you have not found it yet try RL=http://www.i-club.com/]The I-Club[/url] :D . Oh, I go by zombie:laugh: on that forum, proud driver of an 2000 OBS:cool: :rolleyes:.
james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks