What's new

Street Fighter 2 (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Does everyone remember this absolutely phenomenal game? When I was 10, everyday after school, this was the absolute coolest hour of the day - between 3.30 and 4.30 standing in the sweet-shop, all crowded round the arcade machine. When it came out for the SNES I was in seventh-heaven. What a classic. How come the franchise ended? I would've thought that a 3D version could be very successful. At the very least a high-res 2D version should have been developed. At a friends house recently I revisited the game. How cool is it to play against some one and win with Ryu on a super dragon punch! For those whose memory is waning, here's a list of the contenders:

Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
Dhalsim
Guile
E. Honda
Blanka
Zangeef
Balrog
Vega
Sagat
M Bison

It was almost more fun trying to mimc the bizarre sounds the characters made than it was playing the game. Here is an attempt to verbalise some of them.

"Tiger Uppercut."
"Haadooken."
"Yoga Fire."
"Atbrigetburgit."
"Sonic Boom."

Anbody remember the new contenders?

T-Hawk
Cammy
Fei-Long
Any others?

James E

Stunt Coordinator
I always preferred Guile, but it was getting old still play once in a while thou.;)
james

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
SF2 is the game that made me sell my Genesis and buy a SNES. I use to play that game religiously between classes and after class when I was in college. Hell, I use to play the original Street Fighter... now does anyone remember that? I can't think of any of the fighters except for Ryu.
I play SF2 whenever I'm at my girls house... I have it on my Gamneboy Advance :D It's an updated version to the SNES one, with the new contenders plus Akuma (Ken & Ryu's sensai (sp?)), 4 turbo settings, head to head w/ link cable, training, survival, timed stages, and normal arcade mode. It plays & looks great!
Mike D.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
the street fighter series are my most favorite games! i personally can't play rpgs because of SF. they don't progress fast enough (and my attention span must be that of cloth). on my dreamcast i've got SF 3, SF 3 double impact, SF 3 third strike, SF alpha 3, and capcom vs. snk. now that i've got a sega saturn i can get the SF collection (which includes super street figther 2, SSF2 turbo, and alpha gold... i think), alpha 1, alpha 2, pocket figher, xmen vs. street fighter, and marvel vs. capcom.
there's also a documentary that's out now in limited release called bang the machine which documents the national/international street fighter tournaments and the type of people in those competitions.
and you can also check out www.shoryuken.com for north american/world standings as to who's doing the best in those competitions.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i should also add that there was a 3d street fighter that came out for the playstation (correct me if i'm wrong). i think it was called street fighter 2 ex....

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I wasted many a quarter on this game back in the day-actually got reasonably good at it too, but there was always someone better. I remember that Champion Edition was the biggest thing ever at the time (you could play as the bosses?), and given that it was before the internet got big there were always rumors going around about the game. Anyone remember the "sheng long" rumor? What about how to freeze the game with guile?

And now, through the glory of MAME, I can play them all over again...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm only the old school Blanka player left:frowning:
I loved that beastly fool. I got a tingly feeling in my stomach when I used to catch someone with the electricity field attack. Used correctly Blanka was a tough son of a bitch.
I remeber back when the Street Fighter 2 arcade game was out my buddies and I used to mock the spoken words of the world warriors. We created such innovations as:
"OOHHHHHHH-YOU BITCH!" for the dragon punch
"I-Got-that-thorough-kick" for the Ryu and Kens spinning kick maneuver.
Oh to be in my teens again (NOT!):D.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I shudder to think of how many college classes were skipped because of "one more match" at the student union. SF2 Turbo sits near the top of my all time favorites, and SF2 rivals Doom in the size of it's influence, IMO.

...and Chun Li r00lZ!!!!!!! =)

-Dave

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
SF2 Turbo is an arcade classic that I would seriously, seriously, consider buying to have in my finished basement (if i get a house with a basement that I can finish)

how sick would a custom finished basement Home Teater be with a nice Street Fighter 2 cabinet sitting right outside of the theater. it would make the theater feel so much more authentic!!

(how many times was I almost late for a movie because I was defending my title at the theater arcade!!)

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when arcades had like 10 SF2 machines in a row with long lines of people waiting to play. Then there were the "secret" locations where the machine was vacant. Eventually people found out about the locations and they were packed again. It's still a great game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I liked SF2 a lot when it came out. It's what turned me towards fighting games (my first "favorite" genre). I must say that I much prefer the Vs. games (Marvel vs. Capcom, Capcom vs. SNK, etc.) to be better than the SF games. I find that nowadays SF2 is a little too slow compared to the Vs. games, so I can't get as into it as I used to be able to.

I haven't played SF3, mainly because there's two versions of it. So how many decades until SF4?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm only the old school Blanka player left
Nope, I started on Blanka, and continue to use him today when I dig SF2 out. Ended up playing with everyone at one point or another though quite a lot (except Zangief). Never really warmed to Ken or Ryu until I got the SNES version, but I found that Honda could be incredibly devistating when played correctly.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
My character of choice was (is) Ken. I have my SNES hooked up in the bedroom, and still play this from time to time.
The GBA version is quite good as well.

The original SF2 I didn't have, since I had a Genesis. But my friend had it, and every day after school all we did was play SF2. He beat me most of the time, but it was a lot of fun anyway.

But by the time SF2: Turbo came out, I had an SNES and SF2 Turbo was purchased the day it came out, for $64.99 (or something close to that.) I still have that same game, and got more than my money's worth out of it.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Anyone played SF alpha 3 on pso? I think next to sf vs snk 2 its probably one of the best out there. And since I don't have a ps2 anymore or a DC its about the only way I can get my SF fix lately. You can pick it up for $15 most places.

Mike

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Great game, love kicking the crap out of a car in one of the bonus levels... I did tire of the seemingly endless revisions to the game though, Super Street figther 2 turbo hyper diper alpha and what have you... :)
Dan

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think that the alpha games were where the series really started to fall apart. Once they started with the tag team options it got more interesting, but really the once the alpha moves came in the game became too much about just getting your alpha off in time. I'm actually going to say that SF2:CE was the best of the series, simply because it tweaked the original just enough, but still kept it mostly the same game at its core.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks