What's new

Strange sounds coming from tweeters (1 Viewer)

BryanEB

Agent
If I stand within a couple feet of my main B&W 601 or rear B&W 602 speakers, the sound coming from the tweeters has a very "wavy" quality to it. It's similar to the sound you get from an analog tape when it starts to get warped.

I happened to recently get a Yamaha RX-V2200 to replace my RX-V2095, which I don't think had the same problem. I don't listen very loud at all, so I'm not sure if something is wrong, or this is just the sound of the 2200.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Bryan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TimothyW

Grip
Any chance you are in DPL/DD mode but there is no DPL/DD encoding? I've noticed a similar warbled sound when I use DPL II on material that is not encoded.

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Long time lurker...first time poster :)
I too get this in DPL/DPLII mode. I've got a Denon AVR 3802 with some B&W N805s (upgrading to separates soon!) I also suspect they are artifacts created by the processor when processing non-encoded stereo soundtracks.
BTW, had an old Sony DD/DPL receiver driving some CSW Ensembles and noticed the same sound artifacts when viewing TV in DPL mode.
FWIW,
Todd

BryanEB

Agent
Interesting. I seem to get it on pretty much all my DirecTV channels when watching in DPL/II. Would that imply that none of these channels are DPL encoded?

Bryan

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, same thing here. I get it on most DirecTV broadcasts as well. (BTW, I'm not using digitial out from the sat receiver). A good test is to run a DVD in PL mode in order to isolate if it's a receiver/processor problem or a source problem. I haven't done that yet as it hasn't bothered me too much while watching the tube. But would love to know what you find!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks