What's new

Storytelling **Anyone???** (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone pick this one up? I ordered it and it came a day early, I thought it was a very good film, not quite up to par with Todd Solondz's other work *Happiness, Welcome to the Dollhouse*, but still fantastic.

The quality wasn't too bad either, good audio/video presentation, but a little skimpy on extras. (trailer only)

Did anyone else pick this one up?

Jodee

Screenwriter
I saw this at the theatre and I was somewhat disappointed (I liked Solondz's other films much better.)

I would have picked up the DVD if they had included some of the footage that Solondz had cut (including an entire segment with James Van Beek.)

I felt that the movie had been cut down too much-- just the two stories seemed a bit slight. I was left wanting more.

It's too bad they didn't include some of this extra footage.

I did hear somewhere that Selma Blair's controversial scene with her professor is seen on the DVD in all its glory-- no red box covering it. Is that true?

I actually found the inclusion of the red box rather clever-- it's so typical of the MPAA that we couldn't see what they were doing, yet we could hear it. And what she was saying was far more offensive than what it could have looked like.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I did hear somewhere that Selma Blair's controversial scene with her profesor is seen on the DVD in all its glory-- no red box covering it. Is that true?
Yes that's true. The DVD offers the "R" cut complete with the red box and the unrated cut (which was seen up here in Canada) which of course does not have the red box. It also allows you to watch either cut in widescreen or full frame formats though I'm not sure why anyone would want the latter.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
I look forward to purchasing this title later on tonight and viewing it this weekend. It will be my first time seeing the film, but as a fan of Solondz I'm hoping for the best (despite the somewhat tepid reviews from other Solondz fans out there. We'll see!)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of his work, and in my opinion, it's not any better than his other work, but I still think it's almost as good, if not equal.

I picked it up blind and really did not regret buying it.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Saw the film theatrically, and I agree with Robert and Jodee -- not quite as good as Solondz's previous films. Still, certainly better than a lot of stuff out there. I personally love "Happiness" best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks