What's new

Stop 0x50, other bugs, If DIMM overheats, can it go bad? (1 Viewer)

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
Ever since I upgraded my CPU from an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ to a 3200+, I've been having WoW crashes, and my dad has been crashing while playing Civ 3. The crashes have resultied in a number of error dialogues, the latest one being PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. After Googling the text ofthe error message, I found that Stop 0x50 relates to memory, either main, or part of the L2 cache. So it's most likely the CPU.

However.

The place I ordered it from has a policy of only accepting returns after two weeks. I procrastinated and waited long past that to have the CPU installed. So I can't return the CPU.

Also, earlier error messages, and having run Microsoft's memory checker overnight years ago and getting an error output make me think (hope?) that the memory is, and always bad.

Oh, I tried running Memtest86, had it make a floppy, but when I rebooted with the floppy, all I got was unintellegible gobbledygook. Basically, sets of 4 letters/numbers scrolling up the screen non-stop. I had to forcibly reboot to get out of it. I couldn't open the Memtest86 configuration menu either. Would that indicate bad RAM or a bad L2 cache?

I'll buy a new PC3200 or PC4000 RAM DIMM, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably have to look into getting a new CPU. At least the 3200+'s are under $200 these days...

And then, nForce2 chipsets and running World of Warcraft supposedly have problems with running more than 51 MB of RAM.

Help.

DaveNel

Second Unit
What you can do is contact them and let them know what its doing,They mat be able to tell you what the problem is. Also you may not be able to return it to the store but you should have a warranty on it. Unless you bought it
from a used online dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks