What's new

Stephen King's "The Colorado Kid" (minor spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hopefully, you'll have read The Colorado Kid already, as I have a question. The novel's main topic of discussion takes place in 1980, right? Stephen King says this on his website:

By the way, if this book is already being discussed, I couldn't find a thread with a search.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
If you haven't finished the book, don't read below.

I think King has told so many stories that have an beginning, middle and end, he is now experimenting with the story format itself. He has to be so sick of the usual format where you set up a situation and characters and everything is resolved. The main characters spend a lot of time apologizing that it isn't REALLY a story, but I didn't believe them until the book ended, I guess they weren't bluffing! And for those of you who like endings, you can spend all kinds of time theorizing about Dark Tower connections, but I don't think that's necessary for the enjoyment of the book. Not sure if I liked it but it sure was readable! At least he is trying something different.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He similarly explored the idea of a story with no clean end in From a Buick 8. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it stems from his brush with death, where he was confronted with the idea of leaving the Dark Tower unfinished. Even before the accident, he spoke about the possibility of dying before it was done.

BTW, if you haven't read From a Buick 8, I don't think I spoiled it by mentioning the structural similarity between that and the Colorado Kid. It was an important point, but not necessarily *the* point, like it was here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks