What's new

It (2017) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Adjusted for inflation The Exorcist is still the #1 horror film of all time tho.
Yep, but no one adjusts for inflation or it would show that the movie business has gone into the toilet over the past few decades, selling only a fraction of the tickets that they used to. By ignoring that, they can continuously trumpet new records and ever higher grosses that gain the headlines and drive discussion on forums like these. ;)

Domestic tickets sold (from BOMojo adjuster):

It = 30.4 million tix (to date)
The Exorcist = 103.2 million tix (initial release, 1973)

Domestic gross using 1973 ticket prices (from BOMojo adjuster):

It
= $53.8 million
The Exorcist = $193 million

Rather sad, considering the population of the U.S. has increased by about 120 million since 1970.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adjusting for inflation isn't perfect, either, though. Ticket prices and concession prices have gone up faster than people's salaries. There are a lot more competing forms of entertainment than there were in 1973, and home video was still a couple years away then.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adjusting for inflation isn't perfect, either, though. Ticket prices and concession prices have gone up faster than people's salaries. There are a lot more competing forms of entertainment than there were in 1973, and home video was still a couple years away then.
True, but if you were around back in 1973, you would have recognized that The Exorcist was one of those films that was in a class by itself. It was a pop culture phenomenon. Similar to The Godfather, both based on bestseller books.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
True, but if you were around back in 1973, you would have recognized that The Exorcist was one of those films that was in a class by itself. It was a pop culture phenomenon. Similar to The Godfather, both based on bestseller books.
No question. It's probably the most famous horror movie of all time, and with good reason. I'm just saying that adjusting for inflation doesn't create a true apples-to-apples comparison.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No question. It's probably the most famous horror movie of all time, and with good reason. I'm just saying that adjusting for inflation doesn't create a true apples-to-apples comparison.
Doing apples to apples comparisons can be difficult, it's like comparing what Babe Ruth did to what MLB hitters are dealing with today.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Plus older films films have the benefit of multiple rereleases.

Even if you ignore those, it's just such a radically different entertainment market than it was 40+ years ago.

In 1973, the average TV got 3-5 channels and your town would have a handful of single-screen movie theaters. No Internet, video games, cable, "video on demand" and the like.

Movies simply had MUCH less competition for entertainment time/dollars.

I'll leave arguments about whether movie quality has gone into the crapped to others, but in today's market, it wouldn't matter. It's simply impossible for a movie to dominate in the same way it would have in 1970s...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's the same with TV - you'll never get the ratings from the days when there were 3-5 channels and no timeshifting, but for whatever bizarre reason, that's still what networks expect.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I easily get scared by scary movies, Insidious, The Conjuring. For whatever reason this did not scare me. I liked the cast though.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh I agree. Wasn’t real scary. Was more a bunch of kids bonding through a really horrible event.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wasn’t scared either. A bit creepy. But very entertaining.

Annabelle Creation was the scariest film I saw last year.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I easily get scared by scary movies, Insidious, The Conjuring. For whatever reason this did not scare me. I liked the cast though.
I found myself laughing at the trailers for this when it came out. For a short while I thought it was intended as a Naked Gun-style spoof.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way this is released this Tuesday.

I’ll be picking up the UHD/4K.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I found myself laughing at the trailers for this when it came out. For a short while I thought it was intended as a Naked Gun-style spoof.
Not sure why you or anyone would have thought that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks