What's new

Static Arm Bands (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Are these things necessary when working on computers? I've heard that they are a big joke. Is this true?

Thoughts?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I've never actaully used one myself, but they're not a big joke either. All they do is make sure that you're grounded-you can do the same thing yourself by discharging before handling components. That's all I've ever done, and I haven't fried anything. If you want to be extra careful though, then they can't hurt (other than getting in the way).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've been fixing systems for 15+ years and have never used them either.

Someone was saying that you HAVE to use them or you'll fry your system and I think that's a bit extreme. As long as you're grounded, you stand the same chance as with the arm band or not.

I always figured they were more of a "get out of jail" card that the manufacturers use so they don't get blamed if a user frys his/her system.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Well, all the armband does is keep you grounded, so if you're using a wrist strap correctly then you can eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) the risk of damaging anything.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If you saw the last thread I created here I had static that fried my motherboard and ram, but it wasn't when I was working inside of the case. I just hooked up a digicam via USB, touched the camera and ZAP!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i usually just make sure i touch the metal case before i start doing any work. i've (knock on metal) never shorted anything yet. the only time i was *super* careful was when i was touching/installing the actual mb itself ... for that one i made sure i was grounded.

----

trivia question on touching the case as a grounding method: does the power-cord have to be plugged in or not for the chassis to be actually grounded?

i've read both yes and no on this. to me, it would make sense that it would have to be connected (since the ground is coming from the outlet)...but at the same time i figure if you touch the case and discharge any static electricity, that should be good enough -- whether the power cord is attached or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks