What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course anything is possible but I doubt we'll see nor do I want to see anymore Vader. Or Obi Wan. Or Boba Fett. Jeez. Enough. :blink:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And Luke, Leia, Han and Chewbacca were alive at the end of the original six. Their continued stories I would love to see.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If they do a Darth Vader movie, and I think it would be a mistake if they did, they still wouldn't bring Christensen back. Since Vader's mechanical legs are longer than Anakin's legs were, they'd higher a taller actor to be inside the suit, and then hire JEL to do the voice.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hayden being in the suit is no problem! It could be anyone in the suit. My only fear is if he plays Anakin again. Or if he plays Vader without a mask. As long as he stays in the suit I have no problem. :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Does anyone think it's possible Vader met Obi-Wan somewhere between III and IV? Hence the line in IV, "You should not have come back." And in VI when he tells Luke "Obi-Wan once thought as you do."

Certainly their encounter in III doesn't involve Obi-Wan "coming back" or believing Vader still had something good in him.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does anyone think it's possible Vader met Obi-Wan somewhere between III and IV? Hence the line in IV, "You should not have come back."

I suppose anything is possible, but I don't think so. I'd probably be more annoyed than appreciative if they tried to do something with the two of them. I think the line about not coming back works just fine. At the end of III, Obi-Wan flees the Republic/Empire. When they meet up in IV, Obi-Wan has returned to the fight, and is caught in Imperial territory. "You should not have come back" = "You should have stayed at whatever third world outpost you were hiding at".

And in VI when he tells Luke "Obi-Wan once thought as you do."

I think that is simply that Obi-Wan felt good could triumph over evil, that Palpatine was not to be trusted, and that he wasn't invincible; also that self-rule was better than being ruled by a dictator. Certainly Anakin Skywalker was aware, even before turning to the Dark Side, that Obi-Wan was very skeptical of Palpatine. That was a running theme in their conversations throughout more than one prequel. I think it's fair to say that Luke shares those sentiments.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Who played Vader in the tank thing in his castle?
In the latest issue of Cinefex, an article says that in the shots where the tank is draining, Vader is played by a guy named Daniel Naprous wearing a full body makeup prosthetic for the Vader burns. It doesn't say if he has actually lost limbs or they just painted out his arms & legs in post production. As an aside, Vader is a puppet in the shots when he is fully submerged in the bacta tank.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't really understand why he's in the tank - it's established in other movies that he hibernates/rests in that mechanical egg thing. Then again, I thought it was silly that he was living on Mustafar to begin with.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Those few seconds with Vader could have been used to develop his character rather than show something we've basically already seen (and in my opinion, if watched chronologically, something that steals the thunder from a really effective scene in Empire). Why not show Vader dealing with an imperial problem of bureaucracy that can't be solved by violence? Why not tell us something about his day-to-day life that is interesting? Something that makes us understand him a little better? In my opinion that whole first sequence with Vader (the setting, the writing, everything) was a product of shallow, derivative thinking that did not advance the characters or plot one iota. The status quo of the movie is exactly the same before the scene as after.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I realize I'm probably in a very small minority, but as much as I was looking forward to seeing Darth Vader again, I didn't really enjoy his appearance in the film. It didn't feel like the character as I remembered him, and it didn't show or tell us anything new about him either.

Alan, I agree completely with your point about the first scene. It seemed more about looking cool than actually advancing the story or our understanding of the character. You could remove that scene from the movie and it wouldn't change the story one bit. That's something that one should never be able to say about a Darth Vader scene.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I realize I'm probably in a very small minority, but as much as I was looking forward to seeing Darth Vader again, I didn't really enjoy his appearance in the film. It didn't feel like the character as I remembered him, and it didn't show or tell us anything new about him either.

Alan, I agree completely with your point about the first scene. It seemed more about looking cool than actually advancing the story or our understanding of the character. You could remove that scene from the movie and it wouldn't change the story one bit. That's something that one should never be able to say about a Darth Vader scene.
Arguably the greatest cinematic villain of all time in what amounts to an essentially wasted scene; IMHO emblematic of the first 75 minutes of that movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't really understand why he's in the tank - it's established in other movies that he hibernates/rests in that mechanical egg thing. Then again, I thought it was silly that he was living on Mustafar to begin with.
In the Star Wars universe, bacta is used to heal wounds (which is why you see Luke in a bacta tank after his run-in with the wampa in The Empire Strikes Back) but after 19 years, you would think that Vader has either healed or he hasn't. I guess it's reasonable to say that bacta would also help alleviate the pain that would come from his burns and he periodically goes into a bacta tank as a treatment. Or a future writer can patch it over by telling a story where Vader is wounded and ends up with injuries requiring time in a bacta tank just prior to Rogue One.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's what I figured would happen and it's a lot better than having Leia be 'killed' in the credit crawl of Episode IX. At least, they have the time to look at the footage that they have of her and can write and rewrite the scenes and script around that, use a double & shoot her from behind, steal dialogue from other scenes or outtakes, cut & paste her head from one scene & add it to an entirely different scene, etc.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Is there ever going to be a trailer for Episode VIII? I think we had already seen 2 for TFA by this point a few years ago. The wait is driving me crazy, it's doing the same to my 9 year old daughter as well (so much fun having a kid who loves SW!).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it's premiering at Celebration... and I agree, it's been a long wait. I'm surprised they didn't have a tiny something with Rogue One.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I read a rumor that there will be a behind the scenes look at The Last Jedi but no trailer (like the Rogue One one that they played at Celebration Europe last year). My guess is that a trailer won't be out until July before Comic Con and that'll get the marketing machine rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks