What's new

Star Wars Episode VIII "The Last Jedi" Coming December 15, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife ordered a new chair for her home office and it arrived the same day as my MCQUARRIE book. Why am I sharing this? Because the MCQUARRIE book weighed twice as much as her office chair....

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Is there a chance that the first printing is sold out and we are into a second one? I ordered it on Tuesday for 182 but today on Amazon it's 150 and they will not adjust the price although I can refuse it and order it again as long as I can do that before it shows up

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It was a limited run, and there's always a chance, but from the info I have, there is no second run, at least not in its current form. I think the price dropped because they already got all the $200 suckers like me to buy it, and now they are waiting on smarter folks.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
^ Not to rub it in but thanks for the heads up on the price. $150 is low enough to get me to go for it.
You won't regret it. And I don't regret buying it for $192. I'm not sure there will ever be a book I am as excited about ever again. And that is a considered statement.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately you just have a terrible opening by Lucas in it.
So I'm not the only one who thinks that....
I loved when Lucas said how even though the paintings are now adored by millions, they'd just toss them in the trunk of their cars to show them to ILM, etc. when they were making the movie. I enjoy thinking of the time when they were on their way to success but still had no idea of what incredible and influential thing they had come up with.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The rumor I heard was Lucas was unhappy with the way the transition and treatment of his stories for 7-9 were characterized. It was delayed while it was being rewritten and now he still isn't happy. But I haven't been able to substantiate that rumor.

As far as marketing timing, episode 7 is becoming less relevant every day that passes. I'd think they'd want the book out sooner so it could be doing business when the next movie hits.

Uh, Lucas has nothing to do with Star Wars anymore so why would Disney care if he was happy or not with a book about Episode VII, something he had nothing do to with anyway. I don't buy that rumor at all. If I was Disney I wouldn't care. What's Lucas going to do, post mean things on Twitter.

Lucas is always trying to re-write the history of the franchise, and I'll never understand why. The book "The History of Star Wars" is one of my favorite books about the original 3 movies. It really shows how much Lucas has tried to change the history of the series.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Whether or not the rumor is true, I think relationships do matter. They're more important than almost anything, especially in business. If I was Disney, I'd want it to matter. If I was Lucas, I'd want it to matter. Nothing good comes from burning bridges.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I loved when Lucas said how even though the paintings are now adored by millions, they'd just toss them in the trunk of their cars to show them to ILM, etc. when they were making the movie. I enjoy thinking of the time when they were on their way to success but still had no idea of what incredible and influential thing they had come up with.
I'm glad you got the book. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The strange thing is that inside "the Art of TFA" book sleeve, "The Making of TFA" is advertised but no name of J.W. Rinzler is mentioned. It's someone else.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
The strange thing is that inside "the Art of TFA" book sleeve, "The Making of TFA" is advertised but no name of J.W. Rinzler is mentioned. It's someone else.

Was it Vaz' name? Mark Vaz has been doing lots of the making-of stuff on lucasfilm projects for years I think he was slated as co-author on the book in question, at least for awhile ...

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
Colin Cantwell was the first Star Wars hire by Lucas. Cantwell designed, among other things, the Y-Wing, the Death Star, and the Sand Crawler.

The deal for Star Wars was made when Lucas hired McQuarrie, but his paintings were essential for pre-production money to start flowing.

The initial deal for SW was in place long before Cantwell too - his stuff didn't make any difference except giving ILM a point of departure on the spacecraft. The McQuarrie stuff is what supported GL's later script which got the project officially more than just a development deal. The preprod money didn't even start properly flowing till dec 1975, which is why GL had to finance the first 6 months of ILM out of his own pocket.

I must have talked to more than a dozen ILMers back in 95 about the formation of the company for a Cinefex retrospective, (they only ran half the piece, couldn't sell enough ads for the issue!), and pretty much everyone there at the start cites McQ's work as what they believed reassured Fox while inspiring them artistically.

There's stuff in the MoSW Rinzler book that seems wonky to me ... more wonky about what ISN'T in the book, like ILM's week of shutdown in fall 1976, more than a year into their time on the film, when only a few shots were approved, and though I've tried contacting Rinzler several times, he has never responded. The only shutdown he mentions is a year earlier, something I admit I had never heard of, but outside of CFQ and my piece, I don't think anybody has even mentioned ILM getting shut down pretty much exactly at the time when they were hitting their stride. It's a pretty huge omission for a supposedly definitive work, and as a result it has cast aspersions on the veracity of the rest of Rinzler's book for me (haven't read the others.)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The initial deal for SW was in place long before Cantwell too - his stuff didn't make any difference except giving ILM a point of departure on the spacecraft. The McQuarrie stuff is what supported GL's later script which got the project officially more than just a development deal. The preprod money didn't even start properly flowing till dec 1975, which is why GL had to finance the first 6 months of ILM out of his own pocket.

I must have talked to more than a dozen ILMers back in 95 about the formation of the company for a Cinefex retrospective, (they only ran half the piece, couldn't sell enough ads for the issue!), and pretty much everyone there at the start cites McQ's work as what they believed reassured Fox while inspiring them artistically.

There's stuff in the MoSW Rinzler book that seems wonky to me ... more wonky about what ISN'T in the book, like ILM's week of shutdown in fall 1976, more than a year into their time on the film, when only a few shots were approved, and though I've tried contacting Rinzler several times, he has never responded. The only shutdown he mentions is a year earlier, something I admit I had never heard of, but outside of CFQ and my piece, I don't think anybody has even mentioned ILM getting shut down pretty much exactly at the time when they were hitting their stride. It's a pretty huge omission for a supposedly definitive work, and as a result it has cast aspersions on the veracity of the rest of Rinzler's book for me (haven't read the others.)
Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing your unique insight. It's appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks