What's new

SR600 or 1603? (1 Viewer)

Kent Wo

Agent
I'm looking for a receiver in a 5.1 setup, The speakers will probably be some bookshelf Totems, B&Ws or maybe if I need to some Energy or Definitive Tech 100s. What would be a better choice the Denon 1603 or the Onkyo SR600? I've read some bad and good from both, but there seemed to be some misleading info. about them in the reviews.
Thanks

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
SR600, because it has dolby digital ex and dts es, i don't know if the 1603 has dolby digital ex.
if you've read bad reviews and don't want eh sr600, i would highly recommend looking up the line from onkyo to the Integra series, and choose the integra dtr 5.3. It has identical specs to the sr600 and looks basically the same but the sound quality is considerably different. I speak from experience because i had the sr700, sr600, and the integra dtr 5.3 all hooked up and gave them all a 30 minute go.

BrianAe

Second Unit
First, I'd be hesitant to get the 1603. It doesn't have that much power, lacks inputs, and just doesn't sound that great. I think the Denon 1803, which is an excellent reciever, is comparible to the sr600. I compared them both and thought they were both great. To me I chose the Onkyo due to a little better price and a better remote.

IvanD

Auditioning
Hi, Babek
I have the SR600 with Paradigm Monitor 7's and I am looking for a warmer richer sound. You mentioned listening to the 600, 700 and Integra 5.3 "sound quality is considerably different" How wre they different? What speakers were they hooked up with? Did you listen to 2ch music?

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
My speakers aren't great, they are SEL towers(sony), paradigm center, SEL rear center, and fluance rears.

I noticed a difference between 6.1 on the 600 and 6.1 on the integra. Also, the integra dtr 5.3 was about the same sound quality as the 700. I also tried dvd audio and all three receivers worked the same but it was great. I did try 2ch stuff, but I didn't pay too much attention to that since I know I wouldn't be using much 2ch stuff.

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I forgot to add something.
If you're looking to upgrade your 600, my suggestion would be to wait. Because if you're looking for sound quality that is richer/warmer you'll have to spend a handfull of cash. And besides, the 600 is great and you can always activate cinema filter if the sound is 'too alive'. Wait maybe 6 months or unless you find a deal on say, some sort of thx receiver or maybe the sr800 which is the highest rated receiver based on power/performance/specs/price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks