What's new

Spoooooky Games? (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
In honor of ye olde witching season currently upon us, I thought it'd be a nifty idea (not to mention totally completely original :D) to start a thread showcasing games that people actually got scared playing, or were otherwise freaked out by.
The most immediate one that comes to my mind is Clive Barker's Undying. I picked this up for a small pittance in the bargain pile and was very, very impressed with the value I got for my money.
Mind you, the problem is, I haven't actually played more than ten minutes of the game. I booted it up at night with noone around and the lights out. After the initial conversation with your friend in the game the freaking out starts happening and I was getting so wigged that I just turned the game off and called it a day.
That's the worst a game has ever gotten to me before. A close second though is The Lurking Horror, an amazing Infocom classic text adventure. You play a college student trapped on campus during a blinding snowstorm while all hell is breaking loose around you. The vivid descriptions for this one (and in some cases the vague, keep things hidden in the shadows descriptions) and the superb writing gripped me better than most novels do.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
In Resident Evil for Playstation, when you're walking dow the hallway and the demon dog jumps through the window in the foreground. I dropped my controller and shut of the PSOne when that happened.

In Eternal Darkness for Gamecube when the pounding on the doors starts to happen, and when the statue on the second floor moves its' head like it's watching you. I yanked the contoller out of the socket on a few occasions.

I'm buying Fatal Frame this week, I hope it's scary!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Fatal Frame is easily one of the scariest games EVER! I only rented the PS2 version and beat it, but I plan to buy the Xbox version just for 5.1 surround sound.

DwightK

Second Unit
Most recently, Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams when some slimy, crawly THING! slid out from under a van. I screamed and threw the controller:b that wasn't enough though was it? When it happened later on futher into town, again when I wasn't ready I vowed never to walk behind a parked vehicle in the game.

Over all I would have to say System Shock 2. That was the only game where I had to stop due to the tension level getting so high I couldn't stand it. I started feeling the baddies behind me for real.

Andre F

Screenwriter
The most recent one for me has been Eternal Darkness. For some reason I just can't get into horror games and this one freaked me out. I just had to get it for the insanity effects!

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
there is one point in RE2 (I think) that if you walk too close to a boarded up door/window that there would be hands that popped out and grabbed you... that's when i had enough!

btw: silent hill 3 looks great!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Strange enough, the game is something from the old SNES days. Ultima something (forget the number) creep me out, because on the world map every once in a while some skelton face will start talking from afar and it just scares me. I quit the game after a while (he kept doing it), but I did killed that bastard first.

ChristopherS

Second Unit
The game that creeped me out is Halo. It scared the hell out of me when the Flood first showed up. Even when replaying the game on harder levels, I dreaded "discovering" the Flood.

Chris

Romar Armas

Second Unit
The game that got me spooked was Enemy Zero on the SEGA Saturn. The scary part is that the enemies are invisible and your weapon has a limited range and you have to time the recharge! Some chase scenes really spooked me out due to the sound.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I have to go old school here. My spooky title is Lucasfilms "Rescue on Fractalus" which came out for the Atari 5200, home computers (Atari and Commodore).
Whenever you landed your ship and waited for the 'downed pilots' to come up and knock on the door, if it was an alien, he'd jump up in front of your windshield and start banging on it. Not only was that scary, but in that split second if you didn't take off you died.
Here's a screenshot. Primitive, but a cool game. Best described as 3-D Choplifter, and also one of Lucasfilms first games (the other was Ballblazer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
As far as spooks go, I have to give my vote to Fatal Frame. I still haven't finished this game because I'm such a wuss.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have to go with Phantasmagoria for the PC. That game freaked me out. I don't think I've played the other games mentioned in this thread.

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Fatal Frame is easily one of the scariest games EVER! I only rented the PS2 version and beat it, but I plan to buy the Xbox version just for 5.1 surround sound.
Glad to hear this...I'm planning on picking this up for the Xbox on Friday. Got the bug to play some more survival horror ever since I rented a Gamecube and played RE for the first time.

ChrisV

Second Unit
The Silent Hills get my vote. TOO SCARY! Man, can't wait for number 3.

I'll be trying Fatal Frame this weekend. Hope it's scary.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think that the RE games have the "jump" award, but for genuine creepiness I have to go back to the 7th guest. The creepy mansion filled with ghosts, crazy puzzles, and bizarre toys was just really freaky. Two points of note:

-The floating Stauf head in the library ("He's crazy, sick, AND MEAN!")

-The basement maze. If you hit a dead end, Stauf's voice would echo "Feeling...lonely"-scared the hell out of me the first time.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Half Life made me jump on more than one occasion, especially when crawling through vents and out of the dark those little crab things jump up at you.
Chris, I remember spending hours upon hours working on the 7th Guest all through the night. Definately a freaky game. I still remember the soup cans "Sly gypsy tryst by my crypt" or something close to that. :)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
One of the best things of both System Shock games is the overwhelming feeling of dread they conjure up through their writing. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of some hellish nightmare, unless it's listening to the audio logs of people who lived through its creation...

Listening to stories of how the crew bravely fought back, yet died in the end, is just killer. One great way to get me every time is when you listen to the log of somebody about to kill themselves, then find the body. Damn damn chilling.

The psy-ghosts were spooky too. They really ought to make a System Shock 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks