What's new

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019) [ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED!] (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given what we know about the movie, that title makes sense. But I wonder if they're going to feel obligated to shoehorn in the word "Home" for all of the Tom Holland standalone Spider-Man movies now.

Maybe it'll be a A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly situation, where the third movie changes things up completely:

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Spider-Man: No Sleep Till Brooklyn Queens

:D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not wild about that title. But then I didn’t really like the title “Homecoming” either. The content of the movie is all that really matters anyway.

But you have to consider the possibility that Marvel made up a fake title for Holland’s script. It’s no secret that he can’t keep a secret, so it’s possible they rolled with that and made something up for him.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But you have to consider the possibility that Marvel made up a fake title for Holland’s script. It’s no secret that he can’t keep a secret, so it’s possible they rolled with that and made something up for him.

If you look at the video on his Instigram, he's apologizing for the lack of revelations coming and then very deliberately holds the script up to face the camera in spite of what he's saying. There is no doubt in my mind that this is deliberately playing on his habit of not keeping secrets, and that Sony/Marvel wanted him to reveal the title in this way. It plays like too much of a self-aware joke in-joke to be anything but true. So I'm sure it's authentic.

I liked thee Homecoming title more because of the subtext surrounding his return to Marvel than for the literal dance, which isn't that big of a part of the movie, given that Peter leaves Liz alone right away as soon as they enter. This one obviously makes sense with the information that it is shooting in London, since that's pretty far from New York, but we'll see how the title fits when the movie gets here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That title header movie poster from tmdb though.

Does it say. Spider-Man Bingo?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There is no doubt in my mind that this is deliberately playing on his habit of not keeping secrets, and that Sony/Marvel wanted him to reveal the title in this way. It plays like too much of a self-aware joke in-joke to be anything but true. So I'm sure it's authentic.
Absolutely. This is the latest piece in Sony's carefully planned media roll out for the film. Marvel Studios starts shooting the film in London next month, so I'm sure Sony wanted the title out there for their start of principal photography press release.

Revealing it this way generates additional buzz for the movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm sure Sony wanted the title out there for their start of principal photography press release.

It was reported back around the time that Homecoming came out that Sony's deal with Marvel called for them to borrow another MCU character (but not Tony Stark again) for the sequel. I wonder if the start of principal photography will tell us who that is? Surely Sony will want to include them in the marketing for the sequel, so it's going to come out sooner or later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unless the character's an Avengers 4 spoiler. It sounds like this movie more or less picks up where that one left off. On the other other hand:
Surely Sony will want to include them in the marketing for the sequel, so it's going to come out sooner or later.
...this is a good point, so I can't see Sony holding off on showing the ace up their sleeve until three months before the movie comes out.

So far, Marvel has gotten the better end of this arrangement, getting to use Spider-Man in two films that went on to make over $3 billion worldwide. Sony got Marvel's production expertise, the Marvel Cinematic Universe imprimatur, Tony Stark/Iron Man, and a couple brief Captain America cameos. But Spider-Man: Homecoming "only" made $880,166,924, and less than all three Sam Raimi/Toby McGuire Spider-Man movies domestically. Yes, it was an improvement over the Andrew Garfield movies, but probably not the huge event that Sony was banking on.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Vague spoilers in the below post for Infinity War only. Do we still need spoiler brackets for that movie? I'm assuming probably not.

Unless the character's an Avengers 4 spoiler.

How much of a spoiler can the character be for Avengers 4? The very existence of this movie is a spoiler for Avengers 4 because we know Peter is in this movie. So I really don't see the identity of one character being that much of an issue. Even if it was, Sony wouldn't likely care, and Sony is in charge of the marketing for Spider-Man films.

They are going to want to start releasing trailers and such for this movie before Avengers 4 comes out, regardless of whatever is going on with Disney's movie which they don't get a piece of. That's just the way it goes. I'd be shocked if the first trailer for Far From Home doesn't come in December in front of Into the Spider-Verse, and it will show Tom Holland's Peter in it. They won't likely explain why he's there, but he will be there, of course, months before Avengers 4 does whatever it does to bring him to a state where he can be in another solo film.

Another related question/thought: we know that Marvel Studios will not have a Comic-Con panel this year because they don't want to comment on upcoming development until after Avengers 4 is over. But that doesn't mean Sony couldn't show off something for Far From Home if Sony is having a panel for their movies. Given that it only starts filming in July, they probably wouldn't have much, but they could probably walk Tom Holland out arm-in-arm with whichever Avenger they are borrowing for the next film and have them say, "Hi, fans!" and everyone would go nuts, even without footage. It wouldn't be surprising to me if Sony does this on their own independently of Marvel not having a panel.

Because Infinity War featured a lot of Peter and Doctor Strange, I almost wonder if it's him and he will take over as a mentor figure for Peter from Tony. But it would almost be more interesting to me if it was character who we haven't seen Peter interact with much already.

But Spider-Man: Homecoming "only" made $880,166,924, and less than all three Sam Raimi/Toby McGuire Spider-Man movies domestically. Yes, it was an improvement over the Andrew Garfield movies, but probably not the huge event that Sony was banking on.

I see your point and it's a good on. But given the response to ASM2, and the fact that it was another reboot, I think Homecoming did about as well as could be expected. I doubt Sony is significantly unhappy with that result. I also think that Civil War and Infinity War would have grossed similar amounts as to what they did even if this deal between Disney and Sony were not in place, because even if you had to take Spider-Man out of those, they are big events in the MCU featuring a bunch of characters we have grown to love over the last decade in major culminating storylines. While I loved Spider-Man's scenes in them, I don't think you have too many people seeing them just because Spider-Man is in them who wouldn't see them anyway if he was still absent.

However, that being said, now that Homecoming has been well-received and this Peter will have appeared in two Avengers films in the interim, I'm sure they are hoping/expecting that Far From Home will exceed Homecoming's total. Depending on how much Avengers 4 actually changes the MCU going forward, as Kevin Feige has been hinting, Far From Home's positioning as the fist film out of the gate after that could be a big help to it, as people who normally only go to the big event films like Avengers might be curious about where everything settles down. I also think Ant-Man and the Wasp will get a similar benefit this year if people believe that it will tie into or resolve anything from Infinity War.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Marvel has released the official logo for the film:

38198719_1771487076260528_2870789740175556608_o.png

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It will be cool to see Spider-Man interact with Nick Fury again; the first time I was introduced to Nick Fury as a character was watching reruns of the '90s Spider-Man animated series.

That being said: We know that, per the Sony-Marvel arrangement, Sony gets to borrow other MCU characters for Spider-Man films (which Marvel is producing anyway.) But when they said that Iron Man wasn't going to be in the next one, I thought Sony would get to borrow another Avenger. There is no question that Iron Man's presence helped to sell Homecoming and to differentiate it from Sony's previous Spider-Man films, and I'm not sure that Nick Fury and Maria Hill are an equivalent "loan" for Sony. Therefore, I wonder if they are the only MCU faces set to appear, or if Sony will get to borrow an as-yet-unannounced Avenger too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I love Samuel L. Jackson but I don't think people will go see Spider-Man because he's in it in the same way RDJ's presence boosted Homecoming necessarily. Also, it's not like he's going to be scarce on screen next year. He's also in Captain Marvel, and maybe Avengers 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks