What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spider-Man 4 (20??) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good find!

Maybe there's enough of a time jump between the 2 stories? Maybe the President in Secret Invasion lost the next election, or couldn't/didn't run again?
Or maybe:
Ross is Ritson's vice president, and Ritson gets assassinated and/or revealed as having been replaced by a Skrull spy in "Secret Invasion".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That smells fishy. How does anyone know anything about shooting schedules right now? The strike is disrupting all of them.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah. That’s a bad idea for Spider-Man 4.

Every Spider-Man movie can’t be a multiverse movie. The MCU has some big multiverse event movies coming up which would be the perfect place for both Maguire and Garfield to be involved. I’m actually really hoping for that.

I’d feel better about Sony doing a Maguire Spider-Man 4 or Garfield Spider-Man 3 in their original universes. Introduce Miles Morales in that. And then tie that movie into Marvel Studios’s Secret Wars instead of just retreading No Way Home in the MCU Spider-Man 4. Please let that just be a normal Spider-Man story. We haven’t gotten that even once yet in the MCU.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Sony has never been the best overseer of the Spider-man IP. But because NWH did so well, they now want to repeat NWH’s success with every new Spidey film.

It’s similar to how not every MCU entry can be an Avengers team-up. Even though they have been the highest grossing entries.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sony has never been the best overseer of the Spider-man IP.
Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Into the Spider-Verse and Across the Spider-Verse would beg to differ on that point. Across the Spider-Verse is better than anything Marvel put out last year by a wide margin.

Sony has absolutely made some bad movies with this intellectual property. But Feige/Marvel no longer have the qualitative upper hand that they previously maintained over Sony in years past either.

That being said, the novelty of having the three live-action Spider-Men together for the first time will not be there next time. Now, we've all seen that before. I have no objection to Maguire and Garfield, but they should only come back if their presence serves the story as much as it did in No Way Home. The reason No Way Home worked so well isn't just because they popped by and said hi. It worked because they were both critical to the growth of Tom Holland's version of the character in that story. It won't be satisfying if they are just there for the sake of being there.

Tom Holland is more than capable of headlining the next movie on his own.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Into the Spider-Verse and Across the Spider-Verse would beg to differ on that point. Across the Spider-Verse is better than anything Marvel put out last year by a wide margin.

Sony has absolutely made some bad movies with this intellectual property. But Feige/Marvel no longer have the qualitative upper hand that they previously maintained over Sony in years past either.

That being said, the novelty of having the three live-action Spider-Men together for the first time will not be there next time.. Now, we've all seen that before. I have no objection to Maguire and Garfield, but they should only come back if their presence serves the story as much as it did in No Way Home. The reason No Way Home worked so well isn't just because they popped by and said hi. It worked because they were both critical to the growth of Tom Holland's version of the character in that story. It won't be satisfying if they are just there for the sake of being there.

Tom Holland is more than capable of headlining the next movie on his own.

Oh I agree that the Raimi films and the Spiderverse films are good to great… I should have been clearer that when they see a flashing $$$ sign, they tend to make a bad decision…

Eg. Forcing Raimi to include Venom, rebooting so soon after Raimi, the many Spider films (Venom, Morbius, etc.) to try to cash in on the potential MCU connection, and now, with the success of NWH…

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
rebooting so soon after Raimi
I agree with your point regarding Sony. But just for the sake of context, Sony had no choice but to reboot after Raimi left. The deal they had at that time specified that the rights would revert back to Marvel after a certain period of inactivity. If they had not made another film when they did, the rights would have gone fully back to Disney.

The Fox properties had a similar provision in them, which is how Marvel re-acquired the rights to Daredevil and was able to make the TV series at Netflix well before buying Fox. Fox let the rights lapse by not producing another movie after Ben Affleck's version (and Elektra.)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I agree with your point regarding Sony. But just for the sake of context, Sony had no choice but to reboot after Raimi left. The deal they had at that time specified that the rights would revert back to Marvel after a certain period of inactivity. If they had not made another film when they did, the rights would have gone fully back to Disney.

The Fox properties had a similar provision in them, which is how Marvel re-acquired the rights to Daredevil and was able to make the TV series at Netflix well before buying Fox. Fox let the rights lapse by not producing another movie after Ben Affleck's version (and Elektra.)

Good point. I don’t know how much time they had to make a film before the IP reverted back to Marvel, but at the time it did seem rushed, especially after they decided to do another origin story a scant 10 years after the Tobey/Raimi version (and revisiting Uncle Ben’s demise).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they decided to do another origin story a scant 10 years after the Tobey/Raimi version (and revisiting Uncle Ben’s demise).
That, to me, was the biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-Man. It wasn't the fact that they were rebooting, and it certainly wasn't Andrew Garfield. I actually liked that first movie a lot, but it was at its best when it was doing its own thing. The regurgitation of the origin story was unnecessary. It would have been even better if it picked up after Peter already had his powers and just went forward from there with him fighting the Lizard. They should have used the rest of the running time to give us something new instead of a de facto remake of something Raimi already did effectively. I'm sure this is why they skipped over that part of the story when it came time to introduce Tom Holland.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Have they signed Tom Holland? I don't think I've heard anything definitive, though it would seem odd to announce filming and supporting cast before the lead.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course Zendaya is going to be in the movie. It would be weird if she wasn't. MJ told Peter that she figured out he was Spider-Man once and she would just do it again if he didn't come tell her. But I don't see any reason to believe those tweets are legitimate sources, either.

And, no, they haven't officially announced Tom Holland returning either, although I'd be shocked if he doesn't.

When it is official, news about another Spider-Man will be the top news story at industry trade websites like Variety, Deadline, and so forth. They aren't reporting this now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks