What's new

Speed Racer: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Apparently, the set I am waiting for comes out in the fall (according to the Bits). This set above is not it.
I was wondering what set you were talking about, and found this on The Digital Bits:
For you Speed Racer fans, we’ve learned that FUNimation is going to be holding a special New York City Q&A and signing event on 4/25 with voice actor Corrine Orr (Trixie) at the Barnes & Noble in Tribeca. The complete 1966 animated series finally arrives on Blu-ray (and DVD as well) from FUNimation on 5/30. We’ve also learned that details on the company’s planned Fall Blu-ray and DVD release of the original Japanese version of the series, Mach GoGoGo, with English subtitles will be announced soon.
This is confusing me, as I thought that the May release would be the definitive release and would have both the American soundtrack we grew up with, and be in Japanese with english subtitles, especially with the episodes that were not originally shown in '66.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was wondering what set you were talking about, and found this on The Digital Bits:

This is confusing me, as I thought that the May release would be the definitive release and would have both the American soundtrack we grew up with, and be in Japanese with english subtitles, especially with the episodes that were not originally shown in '66.
Sounds like a money grab. I am still of the belief that I want to wait until others have reviewed this set and see exactly what it's all about before I double dip, having already bought the DVDs several years ago.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got a heads-up notification from Amazon about this set. I've been watching this thread too. Carabimero's post worries me. It would bring be crazy to have two separate releases for Speed Racer and Mach Go Go. I hope these are one and the same.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I sure hope Funimation will subsequently offer a separate package of just the subtitled original Mach GoGoGo version, in regular packaging. Even if this Ultimate set wasn't so expensive, I'd still balk at it, as I have no interest in the "head" packaging and the lousy 1997 series, and already have the dubbed Speed Racer episodes on disc.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp

It didn't. Despite the Blu-ray case clearly saying it had a Japanese language track, the release included only the English dubbed version we saw on TV 50 years ago. There was no uncut Japanese version in that set. We were tricked. But it was only $20 and change on Amazon, so I didn't return it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Paying an extra $280 for the original Japanese episodes is much too much money.
I'd bet even the hardcore Speed Racer fans will have an issue with that price.

I'm happy with what I grew up watching. Speed Racer cartoons with English Dub.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I sure hope Funimation will subsequently offer a separate package of just the subtitled original Mach GoGoGo version, in regular packaging. Even if this Ultimate set wasn't so expensive, I'd still balk at it, as I have no interest in the "head" packaging and the lousy 1997 series, and already have the dubbed Speed Racer episodes on disc.

These are cartoons. Aren't all cartoons "dubbed"?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Dialogue in cartoons is usually recorded first. That way they can read the track and put lip assignment on the sheets, so the animator knows the timing for the mouth shapes precisely. Dubbing is after animation- watching the film and speaking into the lip flaps.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Looks like Speed Racer may be going out of print. Amazon prices now start at $45.99.

I had it in my Amazon cart (should’ve jumped at the $14.99 plus shipping).

Went to eBay. $24.98 lowest non-bid price. I took it.
Before that I had one bought for $18.85, seller canceled ordered claiming out of stock.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Funimation had the big set on sale during Xmas for $109.00. I bought it since I wanted the Japanese tracks. I have been watching the set. I watch the American version episode then I watch the Japanese version. This will be the last time I watch the American versions as the Japanese versions are quite different, the dialog and story make more sense (and there are proper references... Japanese version say Daytona Race in one episode and the American version say "Nightona"). The opening is different as well. The basic stories are the same but the details are quite different. It's like watching them again for the first time. I had the same experience with Ultraman. The original Japanese is the way to go for more interesting, adult stories.

Forgot to mention the American version of the opening is the original on these. The previous released DVDs had the theme song sped up and the Speed Racer font completely different.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I’m intrigued after reading your post. I’ve been interested in the Blu Ray, but there is an American version with the English dubs. I’ve never seen a Blu Ray release that has the Japanese with English subtitles. I’m really curious to see the Japanese version. I see the only option is the $300.00 set with the big bust of Speed. Is that the set you got on sale? Sorry I missed that sale.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Gary, I’m intrigued after reading your post. I’ve been interested in the Blu Ray, but there is an American version with the English dubs. I’ve never seen a Blu Ray release that has the Japanese with English subtitles. I’m really curious to see the Japanese version. I see the only option is the $300.00 set with the big bust of Speed. Is that the set you got on sale? Sorry I missed that sale.

Yes. Perhaps they will have it again if they are discontinuing production. The set is a bit of overkill with both Blu-Ray and DVD. I found it by happenstance when I went to the Funimation web site and saw it was on sale. It wasn't publicized. From now on, it is the only version I will watch. Same with Ultraman.

As a side note, I am getting an inkling to learn Japanese (in case I meet Hitomi Tanaka :D )

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Speed Racer = Go Mifune (G on the shirt, M on the car)
Spridal = Kuri
Chim Chim = Sanpei
Trixie = Michi (M on the shirt)
Sparky = Sabu
Pops = Pops Mifune

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gary. I’d like to get that set! At $300, it is a bit rich and as you said, there’s a lot in the set. Though I appreciate that there is the DVD copy as well.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gary- I did more reading last night and it looks like the only option for the Japanese version of Speed Racer, or Mach Go, Go, Go is the ultimate set.

But also I was thinking about Ultraman after you mentioned it above. Another series from my childhood as well. I picked up a complete series set a few years ago and I have not watched it yet. Checking the set, it’s from Millcreek and is a DVD set. It has both Japanese audio and English dubs.i have not found a blu ray version in my minimal searching. Is there a blu ray version?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks