Speaker suggestions for YAM HTR-5560

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris_freitag, Aug 20, 2002.

1. chris_freitag

chris_freitag Auditioning

I just bought my first HT receiver (unless you count a brief one-nighter with a Panasonic HT-75 HTIB). After reading many many posts in this forum I decided that the Yamaha 5560 was the best choice for me.

Now I need help with speakers. I am looking for an inexpensive 5.1 setup for a small room (about 12X16). I am more concerned with movies than music as I will use my Bose 301's on the B set for that. I want a low profile system.

I am looking at the following:
    JBL NSP1 set ($249) with a SW (Yamaha? Sony?)
    JBL SCS 135 ($299)
    Polk RM 6000 ($299)

I want to keep the speaker setup under $500.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance....

2. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

In that price range, I think the JBL NSP1 with the Sony SA-WM40 is your best bet. Both offer great bang-for-the-buck.

Jeff

3. chris_freitag

chris_freitag Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I went out to Best Buy tonight to look at the JBL speakers, and they are bigger than I really want. Then I stopped at Circuit City and listened to Polk RM-6600...I really liked the sound of them!

Any comments on those?

4. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

I would be surprised if the 6600's are available for less than $500 USD - the MSRP is $1180 USD.
    The 6600's are OK, but if you are interested in spending more than your original $500 USD budget, I think you can do better.
    For a few ideas on 5.1 systems with MSRP's between $500 USD and $1000 USD check out the buyer's guide at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.