speaker crossover setting

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AndrewKra, May 31, 2005.

1. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

i got a speaker package from circuit city. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...roductDetail.do
    I was wondering if i should set the speaker sizes to large or small and what i need to set the crossover frequency at on my receiver. i can choose from 100, 150 and 200

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Oops! Looks like your link isn't valid.

You'd probably want to set it to "small" to allow use of the sub out. As far as the crossover point goes, it really depends on how low your mains can go. But you'd want to set it as low as your mains can handle comfortably. The lower the better so the sub doesn't sound "disconnected" from the rest of the audio.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Most speakers that aren't solid down to about 40Hz should be set to small. I agree with Dave's recommendation, set the x-over as low as you can for your given speakers. I'd start with 100Hz, and if it sounds OK, stick with it. If the speaker's low end response is between 50-60Hz, 100Hz should work fine. You want to avoid using 150 because you will begin to be able to tell where the sub is located starting around 120Hz.

4. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent