What's new

Sony WEGA 36XBR250 - Started making 2001 monolith sound (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Today, while watching a DVD on my Sony DVP7700 DVD player, my television started emitting a sound that is almost exactly like the sound that is made by the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey when the monolith sends the signal to Jupiter while the men are taking pictures of themselves standing next to the monolith. This is the first time I have ever heard this sound.
1. The sound is infrequent (that is, it occurs in short bursts of varying lengths of time).
2. The sound is much lower in the level of sound than that generated by the monolith, but it nevertheless can be heard during low sound levels in movies.
3. The sound occurs randomly, except that it occurs ONLY when the television and DVD player are on.
4. The sound does NOT stop when I press "stop" or "pause" on the DVD player.
5. The sound does NOT stop when I turn off the receiver.
6. Turning the volume up or completely down on the television speakers themselves has no effect.
7. The sound stops ONLY when I turn off the television OR when I turn off the DVD player, or both.
8. No other sound generators (cable, satellite, or laserdisc) causes the sound.
9. The sound does NOT eminate from the television speakers - it comes from the rear of the television, inside of the grilled enclosure.
Any ideas as to the cause of the sound?
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Regards,
Sam
[Edited last by Sam R. Aucoin on August 03, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
And no - I did not touch my television and then suddenly begin beating my wife with the jawbone of an ass.

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was the jaw bone of a tapir. I hope this is not the sign of things to come cause I have the same video setup as you...

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
As an aside to my topic, that tapir bit always made me smile. I don't think (according to my research) tapirs existed during that time period. I think Kubrick used them because, from a distance, they look remarkably similar to the small, prehistoric horses such as the messohippus and eohippus (sp?), that DID exist at that time.
And yes, I am with you - I hope this is not something big. At least it appears confined to the DVD player (which is much cheaper to replace than a WEGA).

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
You might try posting this on the video forum as well, if you haven't already. Seem to be a lot of "monitor experts" who may know something about this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks