What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES with Bryston amp (1 Viewer)

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
I just hooked up a Bryston 5B-ST 3-channel amp to my new Sony STR-DA5ES receiver and it sounds completely different for music (in a good way). The receiver amplication was a bit too edgy for my M&K's for music and the Bryston really smoothed out the highs. The surrounds are still handled quite well by the Sony especially for DPLII and movies. If you want to listen to a lot of music with the DA5ES I highly recommend going with outboard amplification, especially for the mains. If you're into home theater like me then get an extra channel for the center as well. As someone else here once said (think it was Obi), to paraphrase "there is no better accessory for your receiver than a 3-channel amp." I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.
As a sidenote, I believe that people perceive Brystons as bright because they are using them with metal-dome tweeter speakers. IMHO they sound absolutely smooth and neutral with speakers that have silk dome tweeters like M&K. Guess that's why M&K uses Bryston in their demo rooms...
M&K S-1C mains
M&K S-125 center and surrounds
M&K MX-125 MkII subwoofer (had a SVS 20-39PC but it was too boomy for music - no flames please :))
Sony STR-DA5ES receiver
Bryston 5B-ST three-channel amp (3x120)
Sony DVP-9000ES DVD/CD player
B.E.L and Silver Serpent analog interconnects
Transparent Premium digital coax
Mits 55857 RPTV

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Don't do this to me( I know your not directly talking to me). But in two months I have upgraded my mains, added a dvd player, added an SVS 25-31PCi, and went from Sony STRDE-835 to the DA5ES. I am very happy now:D
Please don't tell me I will be happier, I have pushed the WAF envelope as far as I can:angry:
Gee, I wonder how it would sound?:D :D

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dan,
It's not my intention to make you buy more equipment ;)...
Anyway, you're making a good move with upgrading to the DA5ES receiver. It's probably the best pre/pro for the buck on the market today (sorry Outlaw) based on it's excellent versatility and sound. Just get a decent 2-channel amp for the mains and power the center and surrounds with the Sony. You'll have a great system.
HT setups will come and go but a good 2-channel stereo setup will last a long time.
miltk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks