What's new

Sony SACD 775--anyone looking forward to this? (1 Viewer)

Mac

Agent
Sometime this month the Sony SACD 775 is coming out--$350.00--$400.00 for a 5 disc SACD player--2 channel and 5 channel. That is a long ways from the first models that were in the $4,000-$5,000 range and were only 2 channel. I think it was Sterophile Guide to HT that had a recent review on it and gave it high marks. Other than build quality and inputs, what is the difference btwn $5,000 model and this $400.00 model? Anyways, I think I might jump into SACD now that the price has come down.
Mac

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mac, I have two Sony stereo SACD players (SCD-777ES and SCD-C333ES), but I am looking at the SCD-CE775 for multi-channel SACD playback. From the initial reviews I've read in Sound & Vision, Home Theater, and on Audio Asylum, the 'CE775 is a quality component, but does not compare to Sony's initial expensive models. Now, the 'CE775 adds multi-channel capability, but for stereo playback or from the standpoint of build quality, the 'CE775 is not in the same league. One obvious difference between the 'CE775 and Sony's SCD-1, SCD-777ES, SCD-C333ES, and SCD-C555ES (the 'C555ES is a multi-channel changer) is that the 'CE775 lacks a coaxial digital output, which all the ES players have. In any event, the 'CE775 is a good component, but not a great component. Consider the price of the 'CE775, however, and that is not surprising.
I am considering picking up a 'CE775 just for multi-channel SACD, but I am going to wait until Sony's SCD-C222ES multi-channel changer comes out in September. It will retail for $800. By the way, Oade Bros., an authorized Sony mail-order dealer, is selling the 'CE775 for $305. You can call them at 1-912-228-0093 or 1-912-228-4480.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Mac

Agent
Thanks for the info Keith. Couple questions for you. 1) Why would you need a coaxial output on a SACD player--don't you use the analog outputs for 2 channel and the 6 channel outputs for surround? 2) Will the changer coming out in Sept be multi-channel and how many cd's will it hold? Thanks.
Mac

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Mac,
I just picked up the CE775 at my local Tweeter for $349.
The biggest difference between the 775 and the ES SACD players is with Redbook CD. The ES players are outstanding in this regard. For SACD I thought the difference was not as great.
I'd rate the performance like this based on a brief listening comparison at the store. (SACD only with the sampler on 2-channel).
Player CD/SACD
777es A+ / A+
333/555es A / A
ce775 B+ / A-
The performance of the 775 is very good for the price
icon14.gif
A great entry point into SACD. I was a little dissapointed that Sony didn't include any SACD demo disc with the player. HMV was late shipping out my order with overnite delivery so I'm currently sacd-less
frown.gif

Gil

Peter_A

Second Unit
What are some of the specs for this 222ES?
------------------
Peter
"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mac,
You have to use the analog outputs for SACDs (stereo analog or 5.1-channel outputs). However, many people who use digital outputs for CD playback to a better DAC prefer the coaxial connection. Thus, players with optical outputs only are often less desirable. For example, the main criticism I have read about Sony's CDP-XA20ES single-disc CD player is that it only possesses an optical digital output. The 'XA20ES as a mid-priced audiophile-type CD player should have a coaxial digital output (the European version actually does).
The SCD-C222ES coming out in September ($800 retail) will play multi-channel SACDs and will hold five discs (carousel changer). I don't think Sony has any stereo-only SACD players planned at this point.
Gil,
Thanks for the review of the 'CE775, especially in relation to the '777ES and 'C333ES. I have these two ES players, so
your comments were particularly relevant. I've been wrangling with the decision to get the 'CE775 or the 'C222ES for multi-channel SACD playback. I'd like to see what the ES model offers (I assume better sound and build quality besides the longer warranty), but I have been impressed with what I've read about the 'CE775. So, I am considering saving some money by going with the 'CE775. There is no rush for me since I have the stereo SACD players and there are so few multi-channel titles out now. I'll most likely wait to see what the 'C222ES is like.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks