Sony SACD 775--anyone looking forward to this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

Sometime this month the Sony SACD 775 is coming out--$350.00--$400.00 for a 5 disc SACD player--2 channel and 5 channel. That is a long ways from the first models that were in the $4,000-$5,000 range and were only 2 channel. I think it was Sterophile Guide to HT that had a recent review on it and gave it high marks. Other than build quality and inputs, what is the difference btwn $5,000 model and this $400.00 model? Anyways, I think I might jump into SACD now that the price has come down.
    Mac

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mac, I have two Sony stereo SACD players (SCD-777ES and SCD-C333ES), but I am looking at the SCD-CE775 for multi-channel SACD playback. From the initial reviews I've read in Sound & Vision, Home Theater, and on Audio Asylum, the 'CE775 is a quality component, but does not compare to Sony's initial expensive models. Now, the 'CE775 adds multi-channel capability, but for stereo playback or from the standpoint of build quality, the 'CE775 is not in the same league. One obvious difference between the 'CE775 and Sony's SCD-1, SCD-777ES, SCD-C333ES, and SCD-C555ES (the 'C555ES is a multi-channel changer) is that the 'CE775 lacks a coaxial digital output, which all the ES players have. In any event, the 'CE775 is a good component, but not a great component. Consider the price of the 'CE775, however, and that is not surprising.
    I am considering picking up a 'CE775 just for multi-channel SACD, but I am going to wait until Sony's SCD-C222ES multi-channel changer comes out in September. It will retail for $800. By the way, Oade Bros., an authorized Sony mail-order dealer, is selling the 'CE775 for $305. You can call them at 1-912-228-0093 or 1-912-228-4480.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Mac

Mac Agent

Thanks for the info Keith. Couple questions for you. 1) Why would you need a coaxial output on a SACD player--don't you use the analog outputs for 2 channel and the 6 channel outputs for surround? 2) Will the changer coming out in Sept be multi-channel and how many cd's will it hold? Thanks.
    Mac

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Mac,
    I just picked up the CE775 at my local Tweeter for $349.
    The biggest difference between the 775 and the ES SACD players is with Redbook CD. The ES players are outstanding in this regard. For SACD I thought the difference was not as great.
    I'd rate the performance like this based on a brief listening comparison at the store. (SACD only with the sampler on 2-channel).
    Player CD/SACD
    777es A+ / A+
    333/555es A / A
    ce775 B+ / A-
    The performance of the 775 is very good for the price [​IMG] A great entry point into SACD. I was a little dissapointed that Sony didn't include any SACD demo disc with the player. HMV was late shipping out my order with overnite delivery so I'm currently sacd-less [​IMG]
    Gil

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I am holding out for the 222ES (at about $800 MSRP)

6. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

What are some of the specs for this 222ES?
    ------------------
    Peter
    "If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mac,
    You have to use the analog outputs for SACDs (stereo analog or 5.1-channel outputs). However, many people who use digital outputs for CD playback to a better DAC prefer the coaxial connection. Thus, players with optical outputs only are often less desirable. For example, the main criticism I have read about Sony's CDP-XA20ES single-disc CD player is that it only possesses an optical digital output. The 'XA20ES as a mid-priced audiophile-type CD player should have a coaxial digital output (the European version actually does).
    The SCD-C222ES coming out in September ($800 retail) will play multi-channel SACDs and will hold five discs (carousel changer). I don't think Sony has any stereo-only SACD players planned at this point.
    Gil,
    Thanks for the review of the 'CE775, especially in relation to the '777ES and 'C333ES. I have these two ES players, so
    your comments were particularly relevant. I've been wrangling with the decision to get the 'CE775 or the 'C222ES for multi-channel SACD playback. I'd like to see what the ES model offers (I assume better sound and build quality besides the longer warranty), but I have been impressed with what I've read about the 'CE775. So, I am considering saving some money by going with the 'CE775. There is no rush for me since I have the stereo SACD players and there are so few multi-channel titles out now. I'll most likely wait to see what the 'C222ES is like.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime