What's new

Sony/MGM releasing 5 gangster dvds on 9/6 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
DVDEmpire.com announced that Sony/MGM will be releasing 5 gangster titles on 9/6: LET 'EM HAVE IT (1935), I, MOBSTER (1958), PRETTY BOY FLOYD (1960), and two Anthony Mann titles--T-MEN (1947) and RAW DEAL (1948). Being "Sony/MGM", I am more than a little suspicious (I, MOBSTER was in CinemaScope once upon a time), but the two Mann titles (both released on dvd in pd versions) should be cause for enthusiasm--based upon what MGM did with the dvd of HE WALKED BY NIGHT (co-directed by Mann). Has anyone seen any other solicitations or formal announcements of these titles?

I would love to see a decent non-pd print of Anthony Mann's REIGN OF TERROR (1949) aka THE BLACK BOOK. It's a terrific film noir set against the French Revolution with superb photography by John Alton. It would go to the top of my list of pd titles meriting restoration. (MGM has access to the title through their Eagle-Lion holdings.)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Charles; you sure these aren't coming from Sony Music Video as opposed to Sony/MGM as Gregory details here?

DVD Pacific has all those titles coming from Sony Music on October 18.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting. I'm pretty happy with the VCI editions of the two Mann films, but this seems to be coming in a boxed set, so that may be too tempting to resist.

walter o

Supporting Actor
PRETTY BOY FLOYD sounds good, as I dont think this was released on video or DVD before.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll probably sap these up blind, Warners has really got me hooked on these classic releases, I'm curious to see if the other studios well rise to the challenge

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Of course I'm waiting for the VCI Mann films to arrive in the mail. Oh well they were so cheap anyhow. I hope these releases are cause to upgrade! Great news. And even Oct is soon for this release. I would have thought they would wait for these to coincide with the next Warners installment, to benefit from the added exposure!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Your suspicions proved to be justified. I watched I, MOBSTER last night and it's pan & scan, with the opening and closing credits squeezed. Very disappointing.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Ok...Has anybody seen the two Mann films yet? Are they
as good as the first DVD versions or as good as the VCI
versions? Any thoughts/opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks