What's new

Sony expects Dual Layer discs to account for 30% of total ouput in 06 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from a news summary of CED over on AVS

lots of questions still left- such as, are these figures the projected actual viable yields or just the raw total of what will be manufactured.

But the forecast is being optimistic as no mention is made of the percentage of the other 50% that will be dual layer- so it may be a case where , worldwide, dual layer only acounts for 15% (worst case)-30%(best case).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I dunno what factors, if any, besides A/V you are using when you say 'decent', but Peter Bracke just reviewed the Punisher on Bd and was very complimentary of the a/v quality.
I'm sure that the Bds will look much better, more consistently going into the fall.
Don't know about extras tho (the Punisher is supposed to be light on those, iirc).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Off topic ( I guess ): Funny how reviews and opinions vary from user to user. My first impression is that HD is actually creating more division with regards to A/V judgements vs. leveling them out.

Re: The Punisher - HTF's Rachael B was critical of the A/V quality

Haven't seen it and likely won't but the difference in opinions caught my eye.

- Walter.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Actually the fact that other studios plan to use VC-1/H264 with Dolby Plus/True HD & DTS HD for their releases would make the demand for BD50 less, only Sony who uses MPEG2 & uncompressed PCM would actually need BD50 immediately. So these numbers seem in line.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

missed that thread. The disparity there though is very odd. Wonder what can possibly account for it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the BD people start claiming that BD50 isn't really "needed", and only used for "special" releases, with BD25 being the norm, that's going to be a tough sell. Why choose 25gb over 30?

BD50 had BETTER be the NORM. Using it only for "special" releases won't suffice. Sony will also look rather silly eating up BD50 space with MPEG2 just to get up to where VC-1 is with 30gb.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Compare apples to apples. Why choose 15GB over 25?
I'd rather have a maximum capacity of 50GB over 30GB.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In other words, you're saying 50 gb is preferable to 30 gb. What does that have to do with saying 25 is preferable to 30?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

If your maximum capacity 50GB Blu-Ray disc only exists so that Sony can continue to stupidly use MPEG-2, what's the point?

Vincent

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

50GB discs can be for more of course. Plenty of long films out there.
Plenty of extras to add.

At this point BD is like DVD in the early stage. How many DVD9s were there for the first few months. None. How many for all of 1997? A few. Now just about everything is. But it took a few years to get to that point. The transition to BD50 won't take as long of course.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately for Sony, they'll be so busy using up the extra space with MPEG2 that they won't be able to afford putting extras (or long films) on BD50.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Who said 30GB was the max for HD-DVD? Current HD-DVD's are maxed out at 30GB a disc and frankly that's all they need at the moment. However, incase more space is needed, a 3 layer 45GB disc is in the testing phase and it's been successful so far in those tests. So it could be released in the near future if that much capacity is needed.

Who knows, maybe a 4 layer 60GB HD-DVD disc will be possible. Right now it's only theoretical, but if it becomes a reality than I'm sure movies like LOTR Extended Editions with all of the supplements found on every LOTR movie released previously on DVD and new extras/supplements could fit in that capacity.

So to clarify, 60GB is the theoretical maximum of HD-DVD.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

30GB is the max in the SPEC. Whether or not they are actually able to mass produce a 3 layer disc the PLAYERS may not accept them. Besides, its just a tech demo, and they demoed the same for DVD a few years ago. Since HD DVD is structured the same, but it remains to be seen if they can make it work.
This is just like the eight layer BD disc. (Quad layer is actually being mass produced by TDK). Sure, it's a nice tech demo, but the BD spec for players call for no more than 2 layers.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

And 100 gigabytes is the theoretical maximum of BR, 75 gigabytes has already been demostrated as producable.

There's alot of points that can be argued in HD-DVD's favor, none of them appear in this thread. BR's got more capacity, BR can use VC1 just like HD-DVD, and HD-DVD is already pushing it's capacity while missing features.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

There are three studios now releasing titles for HD DVD. Paramount is releasing ten titles in the next three weeks. There are no HD extras on HD DVD yet simply because there is none available. Finally HD DVD at 30GB is not running out of discs space that's just plain old FUD.

Look here for the Paramount movies. http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
As of now, they have less capacity. They will be able to say they have more when they SHOW (not just claim for the future) that the typical BD title is BD50, and in QUANTITY, not just a few titles.

Nick

Second Unit
I hope BD Dual layer is better than DVD dual layer. I have nothing but problem with DVD dual layer. Only Verbatim works best for me even that still give me problem sometimes and the rewritable Dual layer is nowhere to be found. I really think the Hidef TV is finally taking off (Check out Bestbuy and Circuit city. HDTV plasma and LCD is pretty taken over tube TV now) Poeple want Hidef recording device to record their TV shows and hope the disc become as cheap as blank DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks