What's new

Sony DE series receivers: really THAT BAD? (1 Viewer)

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
According to many posts I've read here, the Sony DE receiver line is not looked upon as being in the same league as other brands. But are they really that awful? I've seen a lot of posts that bash the sound quality of the DE series, but with few specifics. I think that often someone posts a negative review of a particular piece of equipment and then many folks take the review as gospel and continually repeat the negative opinion. Or perhaps these receivers really are terrible???? Opinions please!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
First-off, I like Sony.

I've owned a DE series Sony and had no troubles with it. In fact, it's still going strong today (in a different home!) But that said, I don't think I'd go for another one today. There are just too many of them failing (percentage-wise) in relation to other brands/models out there.

I owned a DB series Sony after my DE and I have a friend that has an ES Sony. Both the DB and ES models are noticeably better in construction quality (parts, weight, etc.) There is a clear improvement over the DE's and you really do get more for your money.

Still, if you currently own a DE Sony, I wouldn't recommend running out and immediately replacing it. But it might be something to think about as your system evolves...

Kevin L K

Second Unit
Hi Jay. Sony's are not that bad--they have many nice features("bells & whistles" that some people feel are offered in lieu of more "meaningfull" features),but some people feel they just don't sound that great for for music,and they seem to fudge their power ratings(in other words "Sony watts").I feel they are more than competant for home theater usage myself but are rather lacking when it comes to music IMHO.I'm referring to the DE line,not the DB or ES lines.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jay, the Sony 'DE' receivers are packed with features, but I think they are lacking relative to some comparably priced models from other manufacturers in terms of performance. However, the 'DB' and ES models are excellent values and excellent performers, in my opinion.

Julio

Agent
let me get into this convo since I have a STR-DE1075 I have to say I like this receiver alot I had before STR-DE485 and I didn't felt that that receiver was doing it's job it was loud but not what I wanted like KEVIN said I myself was looking for bells and whistles that I can play around with but when I got my 1075 I didn't know about MATRIX and DESCRETE I'm not mad I just don't use the 6th channel
about weight this receiver weights about 30 pounds ;) I know what you meant
I don't know but to me this receiver has alot of power I was calibrating it yesterday and in my room the sound was really loud at -40 volume it was giving me a 95 db I have to recalibrate again

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had owned 3 DE receivers over 5-6 years, and I was happy with the most recent one until I started listening to friend's systems. I went to a friend's place who has an older DA50ES, and the difference in sound quality was very noticable.
In my main system, the Sony got the boot right after listening to two of my friend's Marantz based systems, for a Marantz SR6200 and it was like night and day, particularly for music, and I do about 75% music listening.
What really did it for me was when I went looking for a cheap receiver for my bedroom. I bought a brand new DE receiver, hooked it up to just a pair of bookshelf speakers (Paradigm Titans, fairly efficient) and it could not even handle them at moderate volumes. I replaced it within a few days with a Marantz unit of the SAME price and there is no question the Marantz runs circles around the Sony in terms of sound quality and power.
Are they awful for the price? No, they arent.
Are the more expensive models, including the DB series, competetive in their price range? IMO, No.
The ES line has always been very good, and the current models are no exception, however I would still pick other brands over Sony for reasons of personal listening preference. I am also not knocking Sony, since much of my other gear is Sony ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks