Sony CDP-CX400 DAC or Denon 4802 DAC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Before I spend half the afternoon moving my audio rack to change the cables which would be a better choice to use. Use RCA analog cables from my Sony CDP-CX400 cd player to Receiver or use an optical cable from the cd player to the Denon 4802 and use the receivers DAC. Currently I am using the optical cable from the CD-player but have a pair of decent interconnects sitting around.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i'm not familiar with the dac's in the cdp-cx400 but i would hazard to guess that the denon uses better dacs.

kevin t

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ken, I agree with Kevin. My guess is that a digital cable would better than analog cables between the 'CX400 and '4802. However, the only way to be sure is to try it both ways. If you do so, make sure you engage your receiver's analog bypass mode when trying analog cables.

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Ken, thats a no brainer, use the denons dacs. That way you can use pure direct mode on the denon which aligns all 8 of the denons dacs on two channels(very smooth) and hard to beat by even high quality stand-alone dacs in my opinion..

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Since its a non-ES model I would keep your digital cable hooked up to the Denon.