What's new

Sony 555ES Receives Class A Designation! (1 Viewer)

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing to add concerning the C555ES....When I bought my unit, Oade Bros. told me, with a minor modification, they can make the C555ES sound very close to the 777ES.

They only perform the upgrades on machines purchased from them. Supposedly the upgrade does not void the Sony 5 year warranty.

Jim

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing...I spoke to Jim Oade today, and according to some Sony people that he spoke to at a show in Canada (and in direct contradiction to what his Sony rep told him), the 'C555ES will continue to be Sony's current model through the spring. In other words, according to what Jim told me, Sony has no immediate plans to discontinue or replace the 'C555ES. I might just have to pick one up!!

Ah, the wish list grows longer and longer...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

I have heard the same thing regarding Oade Bros.' modifications. The issue I can't get my arms around is, how can their mods. not void the warranty? I believe Oade Bros. is authorized to repair Sony products, but this is not a repair. Now, even if they are authorized to poke around under the hood of Sony components, aren't they required to use parts approved by Sony? I just can't see how these mods. would be approved. I guess since Oade Bros. is authorized to do repairs, you could always send a modded 'C555ES to them for a repair, but I would be concerned about sending it somewhere else. What if some astute tech. noticed the different parts?

Greg,

Thanks for the information. I am skeptical about Sony continuing with the 'C555ES. It dropped off Crutchfield's web site weeks ago, and it was released nearly 18 months ago. It's been around quite awhile already. My concern, however, remains that Sony will phase out the 'C555ES and not release a suitable successor.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
KeithH:

You're right. Whenever I have Oade Bros. perform my upgrade, I'm putting allot of faith in them that my warranty will not be voided.

I guess if I ever need repairs, and those performing the repairs question the modification (i.e. state that my warranty is void because of the modification made by Oade Bros.), I would need to have the repairs handled by Oade Bros. Having Oade Bros. perform the repairs would not be a big deal to me. I live in a small town and probably wouldn't trust the unit to anyone nearby.

P.S. Read my post concerning Doug Smith's "Order of Magnitude" CD in the music section. I can tell by your posts that you appreciate fine music! Thanks for your recommendations concerning the C555ES and the "Friday Night in San Francisco" SACD.

Jim

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, if I had a 'C555ES modded by Oade Bros., I would go back to them for warranty repairs to be safe.

I will look for your post about the Doug Smith. Thanks for the compliment. I am getting a better and better appreciation for fine music, especially as I get into jazz.

Glad I could help regarding the 'C555ES and the Friday Night in San Francisco SACD. I still don't have that SACD, but the remastered CD is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks