What's new

Sony 4ES EQ ?? (1 Viewer)

Bob Snelgrove

Auditioning
Hi Guys

Does anyone have 3 band eq on the surround channels? I don't and read here that the 4ES should. I have the next to latest xx.18 vs. xx.19 firmware.

thx

bob

Thomas_Riel

Agent
Bob,
I have the 4ES with xx.19 firmware and the surrounds have only two band EQ (bass and treble). According to page 46 of the 4ES manual this seem to be correct.

Hope this helps......... Tom

Thomas_Riel

Agent
Bob,

Sorry but I do not have a clue what the XX.19 firmware improves on. I was just happy to find out that I had the latest firmware when I decided to check it last week.

Tom

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The surround and surround-back speakers have only a two band EQ. Only the front and centre speakers have the mid band. Consider yourself lucky... new STR-DAx000ES owners will find that now only the center has a mid band.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Too bad they are losing that feature. My V333ES has a 3-band parametric EQ for each of the five channels.

Curious, but are the EQ's on the newer Sony's parametric or fixed?

RolandM

Stunt Coordinator
Well they are "quasi" parametric, I'd say...

You can change the turnover frequency for all the bands that are available, but you can only change the effect from being "WIDE" or "NARROW" on a few of the bands as I recall. I *think* the width setting is usually referred to as "Q" on a parametric equaliser (is that correct?).

Also, Aaron, yeah it seem like they are dropping a band or two with each generation of receiver they put out :frowning:

Surely, however, the DA9000ES must have more bands/settings than the other DAx000ES receivers, right? Then again, it is several thousand dollars more than the others so I guess that is expected...

JamesCB

Second Unit
The DA9000ES stepped down also:

Front Speakers: bass and treble levels
Center Speaker: bass, midrange and treble levels
Surround/Surround Back Speakers: bass and treble levels
Center Speaker Midrange Frequency: choose from 100Hz, 300Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, or 10kHz

That's just too bad. I guess we can't have everything. Even in the top model.

terence

Supporting Actor
Man that sucks! I'm glad i picked the 4ES up when i had the chance. I thought Sony would have kept BMT feature, oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks