What's new

Song in "Adaptation" TV spot (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
There's a new set of spots out with a different song. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same song that Volkswagen has been using for one of their spots where a guy goes about his day in an office, but pauses in the middle of a walkway over a road to admire a VW passing under...

I've been trying to figure out that song for weeks!

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Derek, that song is "Mr. Blue Sky" by Electric Light Orchestra.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Kristian has it. I knew it was one of the songs from Out of the Blue, but couldn't remember which one.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I can second that. I have seen the "Mr. Blue Sky" spot and thought it was odd that ELO is suddenly getting so much love. It seems very likely that the new trailer was cut using that song specifically because of the power it has in the VW spot.
Anyway, as a huge ELO fan it makes me happy. The album from which it comes, "Out of the Blue", is a fantastic double album with some top ELO work (though still a distant 2nd to the incredible "A New World Record").
If you dig the song I can't recommend either of those albums strongly enough. :)
Speaking of trailer songs: CSI gave the Who's "Who Are You" a regular spot opening that show which has now led (rather naturally) to it being used in the outstanding trailer for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
I'd rank those 2 trailer song uses right near the top, along with last year's Blow trailer featuring the Manford Mann version of "Blinded by the Light".

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Thanks everyone for clearing it all up!

I'm familiar with Jeff Lynne's work as a producer/Traveling Wilbury, but I have not listened to much ELO... perhaps I should check out the albums recommended above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks