Some Universal CD prices ARE getting lower (that hot place really did freeze over!)

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Feb 18, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thought I would give credit where credit is due.

Just came back from Barnes & Noble to see if they still sold Carl Sagan's Cosmos dvd box set (no, it didn't cost bilyuns and bilyuns [​IMG] ) & while I was casually looking through the racks near the entrance I spotted a weird looking sight: among all the other CDs frighteningly priced at $14.99 to $17.99 were three CDs with a tag reading $12.99.

!!!!!!!!!

There wasn't a sales sticker or any rebate deals. Just a small blurb saying "NEW LOW PRICE"

Here are the titles and one double CD placed elsewhere (I wrote these on a Starbucks receipt; the salesguy probably tbought I was nuts):

* Lucky by Melissa Etheridge
    * Films About Ghosts: The Best Of... by Counting Crows
    * The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow by (duh) Sheryl Crow
    * Carpenters Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition by the Carpenters. This double CD package was priced at $21.99.

Universal meant what they said. [​IMG] What a relief to write something positive for a change about a large music corporation.

LJ

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lance, looking at cduniverse.com it confirms what you say. Many of the Diana Krall CDs are being sold for $10.50 ish with a list price of $12.98.

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Target prices all the Universal low price product at $11.99-$12.99 (on sale as low as $9.99!!!) Now THAT'S a price I don't mind paying! I have purchased more CD's in the last 3 months than all of 2003. They have The Carpenters 35th Anniversary Gold for $15.99!!! Picking mine up tomorrow! BUT...there was an article about 7-10 days ago in USA Today that UMG's profits were WAY down last year (23%, I think). Let's support this price while it lasts!

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The 11th Commandment (established in 1991): Thou shalt not pay $15.99 for a CD.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

If you are referring to the price of the Carpenters CD, it's a 2 disc set with 40 tracks...well worth every penny of the $15.99 I just spent on it!
    [​IMG]