What's new

Some DVDs cause A/V system to shut down? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
My dad's got a roughly three year old Toshiba DVD player. I think the model is SD1800.

He called me the other day saying that a couple DVDs over the last little while have caused his entire system to shut off. Not just his DVD player, but his audio receiver and TV too!

This happens at particular points during movie playback. He says he can duplicate this, and claims his Shrek 2 disc for one will do it at the same spot each time.

I set his system up, and configured everything to use the audio receiver for A/V switching. Could the DVD player be sending some odd signal through the chain of components that makes bad things happen? I believe I used the receiver's A/C outlet for the DVD player, so might that have something to do with the issue?

Has anyone encountered an issue like this?

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Interesting thought... but wouldn't overheating cause problems at random times? This issue is reproduceable at the same moment on a select few discs. Apparently the vast majority of his discs work fine.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
wow, thats REALLY odd that the WHOLE SYSTEM would shut down... dunno what to suggest.. just wanted to say how odd it was :p)

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
It is not your movies! The most basic explanation would be a defective overheating receiver. It's possible that each time you watch a movie the receiver heats to a point where it shuts down. If you are running the DVD player through the receivers AC then when the receiver shuts down so will your player. Here are some troubleshooting techniques: Try disconnecting everything and just leave the receiver on for a two hour period. If you have a tuner, leave it on at a pretty good level. If it does not shut down then reconnect your DVD player but do not run the AC through the receiver. Do the same for the TV. If you still have a problem, either have your receiver checked or contact an electrician and have your house checked.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
I agree it's not the movies, that seems pretty illogical. I just find it odd that he can watch a lot of movies (presumably up to two hours or more), yet Shrek at around 90 minutes pulls the trigger.

He also watches his regular TV using the receiver at all times, and I know he exceeds two hours fairly often. It's only with the DVDs.

I'll have to check his component rack and make sure there's breathing room around the receiver. For all I know, he may have stuff packed around it, and on top (and thus blocking the vents).

Thanks!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Other thoughts...

Are other discs such as Master and Commander or Lord of the Rings (any battle) where a long, sustained very loud[/b] section might be...

hmm. Yes, if it sent the receiver into some sort of thermal protect, it might take the DVD player down, but the TV too?

That's bizarre, unless he left out a key point: was it taking the breaker down?

Or does he really just have one of those 'safe-watch' systems that kills the system when it gets too gag-able? (There were some pretty gross parts in Shrek II.. does it also shut down in "Barbie: The Movie" and things like that?)

Bizarre.

Leo

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Also, try watching Shrek only this time with the volume set low or off. You can also turn the receiver on cold (in the morning) and go right to the spot on the movie where you typically have the problem. See what happens. I would say there is nothing bizarre whatsoever going on. More than likely your dad does not have a good understanding of electronics and is desrcribing the problem the best way he can. I have the same type of situation with parents and computers. Good luck!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That would be my first thought - either the breaker on the power distribution (plug strip) or in the house is shutting off due to too much demand is what I would suspect. It could mean too many things are plugged in for the circuit or something is wrong with one of the components.

There is NO WAY for the DVD player to shut the rest of the system down.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
He didn't mention anything about the breaker, but I suspect he would have told me if it was tripped.

I'll have to see if they've got too many things drawing on that circuit. For all I know, his entire rec room might be on one circuit. And maybe it's only 10 amps or less to that circuit.

Once I'm in the same room with him checking things out, I'll probably have a better picture of what's going on.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The other good likelyhood is that he's mis-reading the situation and the TV isn't *actually* going off... but...

a different poser:

can anyone imagine a situation where a disc might be a 'killer'?

Not, specifically of the TV also, but suppose, for example, something embedded in the serial digital audio stream might confuse a external decoder (the receiver) and cause it to panic? Granted, it seems unlikely, but is it possible?

Leo Kerr

Keith_AD

Auditioning
I had a similar thing happen to me the other day. I have an HK AVR320 and a progressive scan Panasonic DVD player (It's 3 years old, I forget the model#). I have the DVD player plugged into the switched outlet on the AVR320. The other day I was playing a brand new CD and after about 3 minutes the AV receiver went into standby which powered down the DVD player. I turned everything back on and it happended again at about the same spot on the CD. So I put in an old CD and it happended again after about 3 minutes of playing. I had played a DVD the other day with no problems and I listened to TV broadcast over the receiver and it never powered down (so not over heating). So I switched the power cord plug from the AVR320 to another outlet on my powerstrip and everything worked fine when I played the CD listening through the AVR320. So somehow the DVD player was sending a surge through the electric cord that tripped out the switched outlet???? Haven't explored it any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks