So Lilo & Stitch is 1.66:1 anamorphic...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blair Lee, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Blair Lee

Blair Lee Agent

I popped in the Lilo & Stitch DVD last night (wow! the transfer is AWESOME!) to check out this odd aspect ratio. The box shows it as 1.66:1 anamorphic. Since my TV is 16x9 (1.78:1), doesn't that mean that I'll see some black on the left and right edges of my screen? I didn't see any. Is the difference in aspect ratio small enough that my TV's overscan has compensated? Or is there something else going on here?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's your overscan. 1.66:1 will have side bars slightly larger than the letterbox bars on a 1.85:1 anamorphic DVD. On most sets you won't see them.

KJP

3. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I remember Disney's Tarzan having the same issue. The DVD was framed at 1.66:1 but there were no visible black bars on the sides of my HDTV. It was really annoying when I got Criterion's The Vanishing since the tops of people's heads were often cut off due to the overscan. Thankfully, with the Malata DVD player I have, it's no longer a problem.

4. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    While 1.66:1 is not the norm, it isn't that rare. Disney has a few anamorphic 1.66:1 DVDs of their animated features out there (e.g., Rescuers Down Under).

I don't see black side bars on my 16:9 TV either due to overscan. For non-anamorphic 1.66:1 (like MGM) I usually watch it windowboxed because using the zoom mode to fill the screen horizontally cuts off too much on top and bottom for my liking.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I do not believe that Lilo & Stitch is 1.66:1 despite the claims on the box indicating so. It is much closer to 1.78:1

6. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Has anybody tried it in a DVD-ROM drive? I find that's usually the best way to tell for sure.

7. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

That does seem odd.
    Fox's Rocky Horror Picture Show is Anamorphic 1.66:1, and there are definitely small black bars on the sides of my HDTV.

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter