What's new

Should I be afraid of standing waves? (1 Viewer)

tom_furman

Stunt Coordinator
My 18" tube is cut to a height of 56". The only thing I have inside to break up any standing waves in a layer of polyfill and my amp that I mounted flush (it sticks into the tube about 5")

I'm concerned that such a tall height will produce standing waves even with my amp mounted internally.

1. Should I be worried, and are there any things I can do to prevent them?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I believe the formula to find the mode between two parallel walls is 565/x=first room mode. or in your case the tube.

565/5.5(your tube length)=102.7hz. Not sure if this a problem though. thick insulation on the top and bottom of your tube should suffice.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Tom, I don't think you should have anything to worrie about. I just finished a 270 liter sono which is also 56" long but mine is 20" in diameter. If you line the walls with a single layer of fiber fill or acoustic foam it will control standing waves.
I have the bottom half of mine lined with 2&1/2" acoustic foam & about 1lb of poly fill in the top half & it sounds awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks