Sherwood Newcastle vs. Integra

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stuart Kohn, May 29, 2004.

1. Stuart Kohn

Stuart Kohn Auditioning

I am currently building a home theater in my home and I have been taking bids from two different audio companies to do the work. Each company are vendors for different equipment. One is proposing to use a Sherwood Newcastle a/v receiver -- the R-865 w/ NHT speakers. The other one is propsoing to us the Integra DTR-8.4 with Phase Technology speakers. Does anyone have any opions on the quality of Sherwood vs. Integra; or Phase Tech vs. NHT? Thanks.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have not seen the Sherwood receivers but I have the Integras and I wasn't too impressed with them. Their receiver non Integra high end receiver did poorly on the power amp tests.

As far as Phase Techs, they are highly unknown and I do love mine. I have a full Phase Tech 7.1 setup minus their sub. I am going with an SVS. I LOVE these speakers. All the detail I could ask for in music and movies w/o the harshness that I found in NHT. Their offaxis response is pretty stellar. I don't have my surrounds hooked up but I get near surround sound with just my front 2 speakers. They are truly that good. If you get them they do like to have quite a bit of toe in. If you are not familiar with Toe-in I can help you out there too. The Black finish is pretty decent but I much preferred the maple and got my mains/center in Maple.

Supposedly the line PC line of PT's have a nicer finish..

Sherwood's receivers are pretty good though. Their top end one is software upgradable which is nice! [​IMG]

3. GaryRoboff

GaryRoboff Auditioning

I'm not familiar with the speakers, but you will find the R-865 to be a very fine sounding receiver. Both the R-965 (the more expensive of the two new receivers)and R-865 are software upgradeable. The R-965 has both USB and RS-232 ports, the R-865 has only an RS-232 connection. Newcastle factory service is outstanding, and that may also be a consideration.