What's new

Sherwood Newcastle vs. Integra (1 Viewer)

Stuart Kohn

Auditioning
I am currently building a home theater in my home and I have been taking bids from two different audio companies to do the work. Each company are vendors for different equipment. One is proposing to use a Sherwood Newcastle a/v receiver -- the R-865 w/ NHT speakers. The other one is propsoing to us the Integra DTR-8.4 with Phase Technology speakers. Does anyone have any opions on the quality of Sherwood vs. Integra; or Phase Tech vs. NHT? Thanks.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen the Sherwood receivers but I have the Integras and I wasn't too impressed with them. Their receiver non Integra high end receiver did poorly on the power amp tests.

As far as Phase Techs, they are highly unknown and I do love mine. I have a full Phase Tech 7.1 setup minus their sub. I am going with an SVS. I LOVE these speakers. All the detail I could ask for in music and movies w/o the harshness that I found in NHT. Their offaxis response is pretty stellar. I don't have my surrounds hooked up but I get near surround sound with just my front 2 speakers. They are truly that good. If you get them they do like to have quite a bit of toe in. If you are not familiar with Toe-in I can help you out there too. The Black finish is pretty decent but I much preferred the maple and got my mains/center in Maple.

Supposedly the line PC line of PT's have a nicer finish..

Sherwood's receivers are pretty good though. Their top end one is software upgradable which is nice! :emoji_thumbsup:

GaryRoboff

Auditioning
I'm not familiar with the speakers, but you will find the R-865 to be a very fine sounding receiver. Both the R-965 (the more expensive of the two new receivers)and R-865 are software upgradeable. The R-965 has both USB and RS-232 ports, the R-865 has only an RS-232 connection. Newcastle factory service is outstanding, and that may also be a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks