1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser headphone impedance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

I been reading a lot of posts from the search function about the Sennheiser 580's and 600's since I am in the market for a pair. But nobody has commented on the 590's.
    Since the 580 and the 600 have a nominal impedance of 300 ohms, less power is pumped out to the phones unless you have a headphone amp, correct?
    Now the 590's have a 120 nominal impedance (unless I am mistaken) so wouldn't that mean you'll get a little more "umph" out of say a reciever's phone jack, since it can pump more energy to it?
    Just had to ask this since I don't really want to buy a headphone amp. Thanks for any help!!
    Chris

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I have the 580s which are 300 ohms. About 3 months ago I tried out the 590s (120 ohm). The Headphone output on my Yamaha reciever had no problem powering the higher impedance 580s but had a hard time runing the lower impedance 590s. I guess it just ran out of juice with the lower impedance phones. One things for sure the 590s cant hold a candel to the 580s in terms of sonic bliss even when the 590s were driven from a headphone amp.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Go with the 580's. They are the best unless you can find the 600's for