What's new

Seems like TV On DVD is where all the excitement is for the foreseeable future (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my interest in 'tv' material was almost non existent 2 yrs ago.
i didn't see any point in spending $50+ to collect entertainment with lower production values and higher rates of repetition.
i did not get the enthusiasm for this area of collecting- at all.

but now two things have brought me around almost 180 degrees
- the release of more and more 'vintage' material- especially, but not exclusively, the promise of more Universal material in the future (just like the movies i collect, my interest is heavily skewed away from the current popular things- with a few exceptions)
- i'm noticing how horribly this material is being treated in syndication- from the willy nilly edits, to the inclusion of bugs that not only obscure a portion of the image, but now move around and make noise(!?)- trying to watch a good program on a cable or sat station is an exercise in aggravation.

and then there is the ability, thanks to the compactness and affordability of the format, to satiate yourself on a show in one sitting.
with serial type material, this a godsend.

so at this point-end of may '04- there are at least 5 solid, announced season sets i'm going to be excited to pick up in the coming months , with about another 12 or so that are strongly rumoured to be on tap as well.

no movie material announced (even SW), save for the ROTK EE, has me this jazzed.
sorry but i just had to post this, as this development seems wondrously odd, and yet incredibly satisfying, to me.

(walking off shaking his head)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I love the TV on DVD craze. I always taped a few series, so I could have them availible to watch whenever I wanted such as The Golden Girls. So naturally I was thrilled with the amount of product being released, because like taping the shows, I now have them forever. Plus, the episodes are usually unedited, and contain bonus features which is great!

Andy

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think a large part of it is that there is a lot of untapped material left for release on the TV on DVD side. There are some catalog movies still waiting for a release, but the last of the really big ones SW, kind of brought the ok now what do we look forward to attitude to the movie side. There will of course always be new blockbuster box office type movies that people will get pumped for, but as more and more catalog titles come out they have less and less of the old favorites to long after.

TV on DVD is still relatively new, and there is still a wealth of the old favorites that people will long for, and as more and more studios pump out more and more product their is more to choose from which just helps lift the popularity even more.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
am 22 and I love tv on dvd. I have some things on tape but dvd is so much better. Plus no annoying logo crap that is all over now adays.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I fell in love with the idea of TV on DVD Long ago with the announcement of X-Files: Season 1! I am both surprised and thrilled about how it caught on. I personally got to the point that I enjoy collecting TV on DVD more then I do collecting movies. Of course I have always been a big TV fan with lots of favorite shows for as long as I can remember.

I agree that it is getting more difficult to enjoy tvshows on cable now a days... with all the interuptions and bugs and such... I couldn't believe the other week when we were about to have a big storm and while watching a couple of my favorite shows they squeezed the show in the upper right hand corner and had very distarcting weather info completely around 2 sides of the small image they expected us to watch... very annoying!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think we owe an acknowledgement here to Mr. Gord Lacey, who foresaw all of this almost 3 years ago, when there was next to nothing in the TV-on-DVD category.

He ended up making a terrific website that was born right here on the HTF, and I'm happy to contribute to it. It's kind of cool being at the center of all the "excitement", and I agree...it's where the attention is right now!

Have you seen how much news I've posted this past week? And I'm not done yet. In fact, I feel an earthquake coming on...better go post some news about it. :wink:

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I'm with you Dave... It's a wonderful website! Gord & yourself are Pioneers in this young TV Shows on DVD Mania that I don't think we have even scratched the surface and it is exciting to think about how many more gems will be coming out of the vaults in the future...

I agree with an earlier posting that the X-Files were one of the first shows to offer complete seasons on DVD... BRAVO Fox & Chris Carter!!!

If you go to TVshowsondvd.com and go to the release schedule, go back to the early years 1998, 1999, & 2000 you won't find a whole lot of complete seasons on dvd.

(In honor of Memorial Day Weekend and all of our Veterans, some who made the ultimate sacrifice.)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
TV on DVD has definitely taken precedence over catalogue film releases for me. My lack of interest in hollywood films makes that easy: just a few catalogue releases and oddities like The Matrix grab my attention in the cinema. That coupled with the knowledge that failure to buy some shows upon early release may mean less chance of later series makes them more of a priority. Plus you just get more bang for the buck when you spend £30 on a 22-episode tv series than £15 for a two-disc SE of a single film. That fact alone should result in a dramatic decrease in DVD prices I think, but I'm sure the studios wouldn't agree...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
TV on DVD is where it's at, and I felt that the very first time I bought a DVD -- it was The Twilight Zone Collection 1. It's no longer part of my collection (sold off while I await the season sets), but TV box sets still fill up my shelf.

I loved the idea of having TV series on DVD, from TZ to The Simpsons, and I had hoped that more of my favorite shows were on the way.

You want to know how I found out about TVShowsOnDVD.com? I manually typed that name into the address bar to see if something would come up! Through that site I learned of the handful of TV releases that were upcoming (and also of this forum I'm posting in now), sometimes waiting days in between news updates. Now we're getting sometimes 10 news items per day about everything we could imagine and even some things we could not.

I think we owe a lot to Gord and Dave for helping launch & feed the TV on DVD craze. Remember how small the TV DVD section of your local Best Buy used to be? :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I had a similar experience...I found out about TVShowsOnDVD.com from the Simpsons archive as I was looking for information on Simpsons season 3. They had a link to a news story, and after I read that I looked over the rest of the site...and signed up. That also helped me get on to HTF.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I've been going to DVD forums for a few years now and I must admit that the movie section is not as exciting as it used to be. So many of my old favorites have been released.

But with sites like TVShowsonDVD.com and this particular area, I'm finding out about new shows that I want almost every day now. The rate of releases has been really insane lately and its fun to follow, even if I can't buy as many as I'd like. And there are so many shows out there that the frenzy likely won't die down for at least a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks