What's new

Secret Rare game ... a remake of an 8-bit classic? (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, hope this is true ... posted on computerandvideogames:

"We know about Kameo, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day Online and the concept for Sabre Wulf, but what else will Rare have up its Xbox-branded sleeve for this year's E3? Does the word "Ghoulies" ring any bells? If you're a die-hard Rare fan it should. "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" was registered by Rare way back in February 2001 and it was widely believed to be a new project in development at the UK studio."

"Although nothing official has ever been mentioned, we can reveal that the game is very much in development, currently going by the name "Ghoulies," and is scheduled to be revealed at E3 in May. And although its precise nature is a closely guarded secret, it's believed to be a full 3D update of its classic 8-bit platformer, Atic Atac. Awesome."

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
it's believed to be a full 3D update of its classic 8-bit platformer, Atic Atac.
If it's true, that'll be interesting to see. I'd be curious how "faithful" it'd be vs be just another 3D platformer with the name slapped on it.

You could do some /really/ cool things with the "haunted house" styling of the original with modern hardware - lots of translucent ghosts, hidden passageways, etc etc.

I'd imagine Atic Atac is unknown to most US Rare fans though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't really care...yet. Until I see something, Rare's kinda been letting me down. The programmers on GoldenEye/Perfect Dark left, SFA didn't do so hot, and their last few adventure games seemed too unoriginal.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
While Rare have always left me slightly confused as to why they get so worshipped (with the glaring exception of Goldeneye, obviously), Ultimate Play The Game's back catalogue remains untarnished. A new Atic Atac would be brilliant if the multiple paths for the different characters, complex mansion architecture and new positions for the pieces each time carried forward.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Iain, I think you answered your own question. People loved Goldeneye just so damn much that it gives people a huge blind spot for actual quality of Rare titles.

I'm not sure exactly why this happens when other companies such as Nintendo and Rockstar, for example, don't have a prayer of getting away with it.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'm not sure exactly why this happens when other companies such as Nintendo and Rockstar, for example, don't have a prayer of getting away with it.
Haha, Mark you have to be kidding me. Have you ever played State of Emergency? Rockstar wouldn't have sold copy one of that lemon if it wasn't for GTA3.

Every company makes good and bad games, even Rockstar and Nintendo. We all just remember the good titles and that's how legends get built. That's why Rare is so highly regarded: Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark (though Goldeneye was better.)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget DONKEY KONG COUNTRY! Those games breathed new life into a dying SNES and still hold up as classic 2D platformers. How I miss 2D games. Sigh.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Killer Instinct anyone? As for the new game I agree w/Morgan, I'm not too anxious as Rare hasn't done anything spectacular recently.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Rockstar wouldn't have sold copy one of that lemon if it wasn't for GTA3.
Exactly not my point. People took Rockstar to task for SoE, even though it DID sell something based on GTA3. But Rare has been riding the Goldeneye thing for literally years and I honestly get the impression that even if they dumped a load of manure into a DVD and sold it as their new game people would think it was great.

Maybe that's just my own perception, clearly, but it's just the way Rare comes across as a company.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
But Rare has been riding the Goldeneye thing for literally years and I honestly get the impression that even if they dumped a load of manure into a DVD and sold it as their new game people would think it was great
Of the Rare games I own for N64 (Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, Jet Force Gemini, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, maybe another one), I like them all except maybe one or two. Sure, they've got a bunch of crap games (they made a bunch of adventure games and only a few were worth buying) but they still made some good ones after GoldenEye.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks