Sealed box subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredV, Jan 5, 2003.

1. FredV

FredV Agent

I am new to this, so please be gentle:

1. I am told sealed boxes are the best for tight, accurate, musical bass (not necessarily the loudest nor the deepest, but these are not what I am after; I am phobic about boomy bass!). If so, will SVS consider building a sealed sub soon?
    2. Does anyone know if the RAVA can be bought w/out the built-in amp?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Depends on the allignment of either. Both sealed and ported can sound great, both can sound like crap to. Keep in mind the vaunted Rel ST series and Aerial SW12 (the supposed kings of sound quality) are ported.
    As for a Rava without an amp, Adire might special build you one, but I know both of these places can:
    Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio

3. FredV

FredV Agent

Thanks for the reply.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Fred, the bass response is mainly a function of your room placement. You could easily make a great sealed sub sound boomy if you put it in a bad place. Experimenting with placement and possibly using EQ is the best way to ensure good sound quality, whether your sub is sealed or ported.

You can probably get a Shiva box with a lower Q (like 0.5) than the Rava, it might sound a little better but it would also be a bit larger and cost more. This would have a better transient response and deeper in-room extension than the Rava, which I believe has a Q of 0.67. I'm sure Kyle or Brian would be happy to recommend the best solution for you.

5. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

6. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The Bagend is nothing special down low. Those extension numbers are marketing double speak.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=bagend
    Read down a bit to the exchange between myself and trunks in the above thread.
    It would also take many more than a couple Stratas to get decent output in a moderately sized room. Especially in the last octave. 30L sealed enclosure with a 10" driver, not gonna move a lot of air. It's the connectivity on the amp that makes a Rel special. The rest of a Rel is nothing special.