What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: The Howling (1981) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
262780925_2356885981115066_5632756746608918748_n.jpg

THE HOWLING will be giving you a piece of it’s mind on 4K UHD and Blu-ray on 2/15/22. You’ll be
🙂
over the incredible new transfer!

DISC 1: (UHD)
NEW 4K restoration by Studio Canal, approved by director Joe Dante
Audio Commentary with director Joe Dante and actors Dee Wallace, Christopher Stone and Robert Picardo
Audio Commentary with author Gary Brandner
DISC 2: (Blu-Ray)
NEW 4K restoration by Studio Canal, approved by director Joe Dante
Audio Commentary with director Joe Dante and actors Dee Wallace, Christopher Stone and Robert Picardo
Audio Commentary with author Gary Brandner
A Look Back at The Howling – an interview with actress Dee Wallace
Howling Eternal – an interview with executive producer Steven A. Lane
Cut to Shreds – an interview with editor Mark Goldblatt
Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: A look at the film’s original locations
Making a Monster Movie: Inside THE HOWLING
Unleashing the Beast: The Making of THE HOWLING
Interview with stop motion animator David Allen
Interview with co-writer Terence H. Winkless
Deleted Scenes with option audio commentary
Outtakes
Trailers from Hell – writer Josh Olson on THE HOWLING
Theatrical Trailer
Still Gallery

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
SF's compression/encoding will be ? until the disc is actually in people's hands.

What is known at this point, is what a tremendous job Studio-Canal did with the "restoration" of this.
The Region B UHD was released a few weeks back and has gotten nothing but rave reviews.

I was OK with the previous SF Bd. There was a digital signature to some shots that was I was willing to look past because the disc was still a net plus over any 480p version. It's long been a favorite film, so I was happy to look past the minor negs and appreciate the positives.

The new S-C release (as likely this new SF) is a MONSTER improvement in every aspect - grain, color, detail, black levels, grayscale..everything.

Fans of this film should be thrilled.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
StudioCanal does not perform restorations or do any in-house work. The restoration (and probably mastering) was done by French company VDM. It's important to know the various people and companies involved, as different companies can produce very different results. I've never heard of VDM before, but this StudioCanal master was created under close supervision with the director - which probably counts a lot.

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
However it was achieved, and whoever worked on it, the end result was ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I also haven't heard of any strident pixel peepers chiming in on any issues with it ala Silence Of the Lambs, Halloween, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (:rolleyes:)...

Watching it again was just pure bliss.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Does anyone know what 4K disc is better? Scream Factory's or Studio Canal's?
I see it's the same restoration but who has the better encoding/compression?
Unfortunately caps-a-holic doesn't have a comparison between these 2 releases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks