What's new

Scarface (1932): Shame of an Industry (1 Viewer)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Thanks Cameron! This (Meet Joe Black: Ultimate Edition) is one of the titles I've always wanted, but I was just getting into DVD around the time this was going OOP. I placed my order today.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

CameronMcC

Second Unit
no problem, glad to be of help.

to chime in on scarface again, I really wouldn't say its shameful putting it in the box set. It would be shameful if they didn't release it at all. The box set gave them a financially viable way to recoup the money. Its an even better situation than the Meet Joe black disc as this title is in a seperate keep case with its own upc and cover art. So you can buy it and sell off or discard the rest. while the asking price for the box was a bit expensive initially the price has come way down. i don't see why anyone would hold off on the title at this point.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I had no idea it came in it's own case. For 27 bucks, I just ordered the thing. I'm more than happy to pay that much for it and I'll simply junk the rest. Thanks for the packaging info.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading that the three Glamour Collection sets that came out last year sold terribly, and that there would likely not be more additions to the series.

C

Chris*Liberti

I have a feeling that unless we end up with 2 non-competing formats, like we had with Laserdisc and VHS, that we will not get any of these old classic films. I am really hoping that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD break further apart and Blu-Ray becomes the videophile format and HD-DVD becomes the format for the masses and J6P. If this is the case I am sure we can get back to the awesome editions where we have full 7.1 uncompressed audio and high bitrate transfers over a 50GB disc. Until then I feel we are doomed to stay with laserdisc if we want some truly amazing old films.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Universal is full of surprises as of lately, just read the bottom of the thread and i think you will be happy

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=251156

All titles will be digitally remastered for optimum picture quality and include an exclusive introduction by Turner Classic Movies Host Robert Osborne. The films are presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English DD2.0 Mono audio and optional English SDH and French subtitles. Extras include introductions and original trailers, with Scarface (1932) also boasting an alternate ending.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, this is terrific news! And I was this close to buying the Scarface gift set (although it was pretty cheap.)

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, 12 days from first post to announcement. Any other "Industry Shames" you want to air, Jefty? You may be on a roll.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I can now complete my studio classic gangster collection! For years I've wanted to see what aspects of Scarface influenced modern filmmakers but I didn't want to have to pay for the DePalma set. Thank you, Universal!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

Hundreds! (starting with my signature-list)

However, many of the things that I want are, of course, somewhat esoteric items (i.e. the complete filmographies of William Dieterle and Frank Borzage, the Four Daughters/Daughter Courageous Lane sisters films, etc.), and therefore fall into a slightly different category of shamefulness...

One film, though, which has been neglected even less excusably than Scarface is Fox's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I never even bother to include it in my whine-lists, because I always figure that its release is inevitable, and imminent, but no dice so far!

I demand an announcement within a fortnight!

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
My memory of the early days of AMC was being struck by the impression that their programming consisted entirely of alternating "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" with "Mary of Scotland", over and over again.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
So, sounds like this will be superior to the original, included-with-the-Depalma-remake disc, huh? I saw that in a used game/DVD shop and thought about going back and picking it up. Think I'll wait for the new edition, now.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Many of the titles that are mentioned in the earlier posts and are still missing in R1, are already available in regions other than R1. They include:

The Miracle Woman - R2 (UK)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - R2 (UK)
Bitter Tea Of General Yen - R2 (UK)
Shanghai Express - R2 (UK)
The Fallen Sparrow (1943) - R2 (Italy)
Bachelor Mother (1939) - R2 (UK, France)
The Mad Miss Manton (1938) - R2 (France)
The Glass Key (with Alad Ladd) - will be released in R2 (UK) on 2/12.

Maybe it's time to consider going region-free.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Jefty,

Please start a post about African Queen. :)

The quality of the DVD in the Scarface box set is decent, for those who don't want to wait I recommend it. And I don't care for the DePalma film too terribly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks