What's new

Santa's visiting my house big time this year... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
In the past week, we've purchased two new eMachines for our household, the P4-based T4130 for my son (high school senior -- this will also be his college computer), and the P4 1.5 GHZ T4150 for me. We're replacing his 4-year-old P2 266mhz Gateway and my 2.5 year old Celeron 466mhz eMachine. I'm having the store install my older 40GB hard drive and firewire card, and bumping my memory up to 512 (I do a lot of Photoshop stuff, plus a moderate amount of video and audio editing for my church.)

On top of this, we're replacing our old 56k dial-up with DSL by the end of the month. I'm also buying a DSL router and networking our computers. My son will have his own printer, but we still want to share files, etc.

All this, and my new JVC DD/DTS system too! *sniff* Santa been very very good to me....

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like Santa's bag might be heavy!

One word of caution- keep a close eye on your Emachine. I have had endless problems with these things, and when visiting a friend who works at the local comp repair place, the shelves were FULL of them.

The one I have (for mom) had problems out of the box with powersupply, and with the actual power switch (kept turning itelf back on!). It also had the case fan die within the first month, and the fan on the processor was as loud as a turbine!

I eventually just pulled the board and drives out of the old case and remounted them in another one I had (with bigger PS) - and replaced all the fans with pro units from pc power and cooling. All is okay now.

But I have friends who have also had some powersupply problmes with Emachines, including one which caught on fire.

So, keep an eye ope- just to be safe!

-Vince

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We've had pretty good luck with the eMachine we're replacing. The worse thing that happen was that the DVD-ROM failed after a few months. But by then, I already had an external USB CDRW, and didn't miss the DVD at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks