What's new

Sampo plasma owners, please help advise (1 Viewer)

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing the new Sampo 50 inch plasma becuase it has all the features that I want, however I am nervous about buying something named "Sampo". I guess they are a mostly commercial display company, making mostly projection and big screen sets? Anyone owning a SAmpo plasma that can give me any advice on how the brand is, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Don

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
come on....dont tell me NOBODY on the board owns a Sampo plasma?? SOMEONE on here has to own one that can help...hello?

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
The 50" Sampo is now $6K at Costco.com

Back in Nov-02, Gateway began offering a Gateway-branded 42" Plasma (EDTV =~480P ... NOT HDTV) for $3K. Several others followed. The Gateway units contain either Sampo electronics or screen (UPDATE: reference this thread). Regardless, my father bought one and has had no problems. I suppose it's a reasonable product for this low price category, but I don't particularly care for the PQ. contrast ratio seems low and the picture has a very digitized look to it (like highly compressed, low bit rate MPEG2). There is really no comparison to the expensive HDTV Plasma's from Pioneer, etc, but these cost 3x the cost of the Sampo/Gateways, but can look wonderful with proper calibration.

Prices are continuing to drop ... keep watching. I wish I could give you a better answer. Personally, I'm much more impressed with the 30" Sharp Aquos LCD Flat Panel, than the larger plasmas, but I suppose you have to consider viewing distance.

Scott

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
thanks scott,

i guess ill just have to wait for best buy to put it on display and see what i think caompared to the pio. id buy a pio or a panny (my two choices i really want) but so far they dont offer two component inputs and a dvi-hdcp input. hopefully their new models (i wish theyd get em out) will have more inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks