What's new

Sam Goody now carries SACD!!! (1 Viewer)

Michael_T

Second Unit
I know that there was an announcement that Musicland was planning on carrying SACD - well the announcement was true (not that there was any debating it wouldn't be).

I was in the Sam Goody in Parsippany, NJ yesterday and the CD racks were full of SACD discs. It seemed that they had at least one copy of every Sony SACD mixed in with the regular CDs in the regular music section (as opposed to them segregating DVD-Audio to it's own section in the DVD section of the store). Many titles were actually stocked in "bulk" with 2 or more copies per - like Aerosmith "Hits", Jorma Kaukonen "Blue Country Heart", etc.

They even had the newest titles, Joe Satriani "Strange Beautiful Music"; Earth Wind and Fire "Alive in '75"; Billie Holiday "Lady in Satin" MCH/Stereo SACD.

Here is the bad part - all SACD discs were marked list price, stereo only discs were $19.99 and MCH were $21.99.

But the positive thing is that SACD is getting more exposure in probably the largest music chain conglomerate in the US. Hopefully the discs will sell; with the only problem I see being that since they are mixed in with the regular CDs someone buying this not knowing what it is and returning it because it wouldn't play in their regular CD or DVD player that does not have SACD capability.

So, unless I have an in-store coupon I don't think I will be purchasing many SACDs at Sam Goody myself. (Luckily I have an in-store coupon which is good until 12/31/02 - so I will probably use it before the year is out).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I saw your post on Audio Asylum. Good information. I will have to check out a local Sam Goody. Unfortunately, I expected their prices to be high on SACDs based on what they charge for CDs. Still, it's nice to have another option for buying SACDs. Hopefully they will extend their selection beyond Sony titles.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I reported on this earlier but I am glad to learn of your success locally. Thanks for the information!

There is a story by Brian Moura on High Fidelity Review on this.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Lee, I forgot one thing. I will believe that Sam Goody is selling SACDs when I see them there. ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
None of the stores I go to have the Aerosmith greatest hits, Satriani's new one, or the MCH version of Lady in Satin. I will have to find a Sam Goody...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, if you pick up the Billie Holiday disc, please give a review. I have read many times on Audio Asylum that the stereo SACD is very poor. Do you have the remastered CD for comparison?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee and Mike,

Someone just posted a short review of the stereo track on the multi-channel version of Lady in Satin. The person states that the vocals are much better on the new version. He or she claims that the word going around is that the people that did the mastering for the original SACD messed up the EQ. Apparently, a new group did the stereo track for the multi-channel SACD, including Bob Belden.

Mike,

Great. Let us know how the SACD compares to the remastered CD.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I have difficulty locating re-releases of titles sometimes. For example, at a brand new (well stocked) BB in my area, they had multiple copies of Tapestry (stereo sacd) but not the M/C. Come to think of it, I couldn't even find the new Taylor's JT (sacd).

Here's a new one, to browse the BB SACD's, I use a flashlight on my key chain because the TV/stereo display section (which is where the SACD's are) has the overhead lights off. I guess if I were buying a new display that would be nice, but...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
O.K. I thought you might be picking up the SACD imminently. Now that it seems that the stereo track has been fixed, I will be keeping my eyes open for the SACD.
John,
That's funny and frustrating at the same time. That can't be good for SACD's cause. Talk about keeping people in the dark to SACD. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks