What's new

RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2024) (4 Viewers)

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
The schoolhouse was built especially for the film, but it wasn't a set. It was an actual building, built in 1969, specifically for the film by local builders to traditional designs. Here are some more photos of the schoolhouse and the area

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531266263555.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531266263555.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 265
  • FB_IMG_1531266241734.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531266241734.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 20170809_143055.jpg
    20170809_143055.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 237
  • FB_IMG_1531266230781.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531266230781.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 246
  • FB_IMG_1532472524919.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532472524919.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 248
  • FB_IMG_1531266252636.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531266252636.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 20200402_143816.jpg
    20200402_143816.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 251

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Since I started posting on this thread, it's sad to see how far the school house has decayed. Parts of the roof were still intact 4 or 5 years ago, although the solid nature of the stone walls will no doubt mean they will last a lot longer.

That view out to sea of the Blasket Islands still takes my breath away (even when knowing that Luke Skywalker is meant to be out there ;)) I think that David Lean got the better view...

Reactions: PMF

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david

Since I started posting on this thread, it's sad to see how far the school house has decayed. Parts of the roof were still intact 4 or 5 years ago, although the solid nature of the stone walls will no doubt mean they will last a lot longer.

That view out to sea of the Blasket Islands still takes my breath away (even when knowing that Luke Skywalker is meant to be out there ;)) I think that David Lean got the better view...
Photos 1

Zoom in on picture # 3 it's the beach where the storm sequence was filmed. Also # 5

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Some more photos

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1539098247739.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539098247739.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 248
  • FB_IMG_1539098213769.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539098213769.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 240
  • FB_IMG_1539098225017.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539098225017.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 232
  • FB_IMG_1575657647813.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575657647813.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 236
  • 20200404_161341.jpg
    20200404_161341.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 233
  • FB_IMG_1551423745229.jpg
    FB_IMG_1551423745229.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 232
  • FB_IMG_1532555542694.jpg
    FB_IMG_1532555542694.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 224
  • FB_IMG_1529921294345.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529921294345.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 249

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Flicks*,

Message #485 - Photo 3 has a posted warning sign towards all visitors. If disobeyed, does the community know what the penalties might be?

Also, was this site ever under consideration for status as a National Landmark?

Finally, is it known why the owner never maintained or rebuilt the schoolhouse?

Such a tour that you have provided; as one can only imagine what it must be like to walk along these scapes while, in the distance, discovering the real life reveal of this stone structure.

The concentration of talents that had worked, laughed and communed upon these grounds is nothing short of immense. I can only surmise this locale as being the most tangible span and spot that one could visit, in regards to locations that concern the elements trilogy.

Stunning photos from Flicks*; to which I extend my warmest of thanks.

- Philip

Last edited:

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Flicks*,

Message #485 - Photo 3 has a posted warning sign towards all visitors. If disobeyed, does the community know what the penalties might be?

Also, was this site ever under consideration for status as a National Landmark?

Finally, is it known why the owner never maintained or rebuilt the schoolhouse?

One can only imagine what it is to walk along these scapes and approach this stone structure in real life.
Freddie Young, David Lean, Sarah Miles, Robert Mitchum, Leo McKern, Maggie Unsworth and Eddie Fowlie. All had worked and laughed upon these grounds. Stunning photos from Flicks*; to which I extend my warmest of thanks.

- Philip
The sign is just a disclaimer saying that if you enter the premises that you are on private property and that the owner is not responsible for anything that may happen to you. It's just to protect the owner in case of a claim.

I don't think it was considered for National Landmark status.

It's complicated. It was built on land that was jointly owned which was in dispute. None of them bothered to upkeep the property. They obviously didn't see the tourist value in it.
There's no actual road into it.
To get to it you have to cross two fields which may involve trespassing.

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
The sign is just a disclaimer saying that if you enter the premises that you are on private property and that the owner is not responsible for anything that may happen to you. It's just to protect the owner in case of a claim.

I don't think it was considered for National Landmark status.

It's complicated. It was built on land that was jointly owned which was in dispute. None of them bothered to upkeep the property. They obviously didn't see the tourist value in it.
There's no actual road into it.
To get to it you have to cross two fields which may involve trespassing.
The site on which the army barracks was built on is still accessible. There's a great panoramic view from there.
The site of the village is I believe no longer accessible.
It used to be. I was there years ago, but when I went back 3 years ago the pathway had been blocked off.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Very well put - a bit of distraction and many movies to watch can go a long way to keep us both inside and sane.

I agree that in these perilous times, movies are not only a welcome distraction from the current tension and sadness, being caused by an ongoing horror, but that also, movie watching certainly can help to keep us home, and inside, as our medical authorities are asking us to do, for the sake of everyone's safety. So to aid in achieving such a laudable goal as an increase in public safety, by helping to keep us inside our homes, IMO, "Ryan's Daughter" is extremely well suited to accomplish that task.
Because the last time I viewed the film, on the generally excellent (for non-high-definition) DVD incarnation of it, Mr Lean's drama caused my wife, in addition to my Mom, to be hearing some snoring coming from my direction, even though, prior to putting "Ryan's Daughter" into the player, I knew to expect a presentation that hardly moves at a brisk pace, since I'd seen, and LIKED the film, when seeing it in a theater, back in 1970. (Anyway, being put to sleep, will KEEP people safely in their homes.)

However, it probably hadn't been a very good idea (nor was it fair to "Ryan") for me to have chosen as patiently paced of a film as "Ryan's Daughter", to be the follow-up to the last feature that we had recently watched, which was "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Because after "Raiders", "Daughter" seems like such a steep reduction in forward motion, that people's actions, as well as the events which gradually transpire in the film, seem to progress very SLOWLY. And I must confess, that in trying to defend "Ryan's Daughter", after waking up during our DVD showing, and hearing my Mom complaining about the film's "gradual" pace, I did admit to her that David Lean's masterpiece: "Lawrence of Arabia (which my Mom hadn't seen), while it's a film that's quite a bit longer, in actual minutes, than "Ryan's Daughter", is a film that, in total, still seems to go by more quickly, for many folks.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I agree that in these perilous times, movies are not only a welcome distraction from the current tension and sadness, being caused by an ongoing horror, but that also, movie watching certainly can help to keep us home, and inside, as our medical authorities are asking us to do, for the sake of everyone's safety. So to aid in achieving such a laudable goal as an increase in public safety, by helping to keep us inside our homes, IMO, "Ryan's Daughter" is extremely well suited to accomplish that task.
Because the last time I viewed the film, on the generally excellent (for non-high-definition) DVD incarnation of it, Mr Lean's drama caused my wife, in addition to my Mom, to be hearing some snoring coming from my direction, even though, prior to putting "Ryan's Daughter" into the player, I knew to expect a presentation that hardly moves at a brisk pace, since I'd seen, and LIKED the film, when seeing it in a theater, back in 1970. (Anyway, being put to sleep, will KEEP people safely in their homes.)

However, it probably hadn't been a very good idea (nor was it fair to "Ryan") for me to have chosen as patiently paced of a film as "Ryan's Daughter", to be the follow-up to the last feature that we had recently watched, which was "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Because after "Raiders", "Daughter" seems like such a steep reduction in forward motion, that people's actions, as well as the events which gradually transpire in the film, seem to progress very SLOWLY. And I must confess, that in trying to defend "Ryan's Daughter", after waking up during our DVD showing, and hearing my Mom complaining about the film's "gradual" pace, I did admit to her that David Lean's masterpiece: "Lawrence of Arabia (which my Mom hadn't seen), while it's a film that's quite a bit longer, in actual minutes, than "Ryan's Daughter", is a film that, in total, still seems to go by more quickly, for many folks.
File Under: Ryan’s of the Lost Aqaba.:huh:

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

First Philip and now you Mike posting again on HTF. Wonderful. I emailed you some weeks ago and was getting a little concerned as I hadn’t heard back. Hoping all is well with you and family. YABIS

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just like that? Someone posts a suggestion of changing the title of my thread and it gets done, without anyone sending me a PC?

You'd think that most people would know it is 2020 without it being in the thread title ;)

Kind of crazy that this thread has been going for almost 5 years and still no Blu-ray in sight when almost all of David Lean's films are available in the format by now.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Just like that? Someone posts a suggestion of changing the title of my thread and it gets done, without anyone sending me a PC?

Yes that ‘Someone’ (@bujaki ) obviously has a lot of clout in these parts. Either that or the HTF Moderators are a lively lot, ready to act swiftly and decisively (the world needs more of your brand, right now)... or perhaps a bit of both - eh, Jose?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I wish a blu-ray was available for Ryan's Daughter, but since it isn't I'm considering buying the streaming version....

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 3.18.18 PM.png

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
I wish a blu-ray was available for Ryan's Daughter, but since it isn't I'm considering buying the streaming version....

View attachment 71322

View attachment 71322

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks