What's new

RP91 Weaker error handling than $129 GE Player? (1 Viewer)

Lee Whitney

Auditioning
Hi all, my first post. As I have waited a while to join and actually get a password I have a few threads pending to create. Anyway...
Bought an RP91 from a local dealer last week for $620 after hearing all good things about it hear.
Now on two separate DVDs it has sputtered and froze while playing. One DVD was the new relase of "Manhunter". The other was a teen chick flick my wife was watching.
The really disapointing thing is these discs played fine in the cheapo $129 GE player I bought from wal-mart as a temporary.
What gives? Anyone seen this? Should I return it for another unit?
Thanks,
Lee

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Lee, I would return it if I were you for two reasons. The first is the unit sounds like its bad. I've had my 91 since May and I've watched at least 40 movies on it and never had anything even come close to a freeze. Even the Disney Dinosaur CE disc played quickly on it without a freeze whereas my old Tosh 3109 was slow but also did not freeze.
Secondly, I think you paid way too much for it. Check on mysimon for pricing. I'm pretty sure you can get one for $450 US. I bought it when it was brand new and it only cost $799 Canadian which is about $500 US.
Hope this helps.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Panasonics, particularly the recent models, do not handle dirt and fingerprints very well. Scratches aren't too much of a problem though. Try cleaning the discs.
Jeff

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
My RP91 had trouble playing a particular copy of "Unbreakable" - severe pixelization and freeze-ups in a certain area of the movie. In fact, it so freaked the player out that I couldn't even eject the disc or even turn it off with the power button. Had to unplug to reset.
Several other seemingly less-capable players (DVD-ROM, Philips-Magnavox 825, Toshiba SD-2108, SD-2109)had absolutely no problem with this disc.
This particular disc was not dirty and only had a very tiny, light scratch that was barely visible. I can only assume that the RP91 just didn't like something about that scratch. So it would appear to be far less forgiving of imperfections than most players based on this one experience. Another copy of "Unbreakable" worked just fine.

James D S

Screenwriter
My RP91 played Manhunter just fine, so I'd wager the problem is either a bad (scratched, although not so severe that the GE could play it) disc or a bad unit.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks